Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-25-2005, 11:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Which filter (canister) to get?

Well since it seems petsmart no longer carries media for my proquatics filter and they made them I guess I have to move on to something else. That sucks because I loved the proquatics... super quiet and very efficient. So what should I get? It is going with a 55g and it only needs to last a year or so. After I move I am going to get a bigger tank with a sump (althought I don't feel like starting a overflow box on this one). Basically I want somethign quiet and with rubber hosing because I have an inline heater that goes between the outlet tubing. By default I would assume most people will say the Fluval 404 since it is popular. Anyone have this and find a better filter? I don't want to spend more than $150. Thanks.

MattP725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If you buy online you have no less then about a dozen different canisters below the $150.00 waterline.

It might be helpful to cruise the link below. It has reviews of a bunch of canister filters. This will help narrow your choice and questions.

www.cloudytanks.com: non-commercial aquarium filter review site
asaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
for a 55gallon tank, a reliable, efficient, but inexpensive canister would be the Rena Filstar series...either an XP1 or XP2 depending on the type of fish and stocking levels.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
my fluval 404 has been extremely quiet and dependable for the past 3 years. I know you can find it for under $100 at different online sites. It has even cleared my tank from a massive sand storm - took it less than 3 hours.

HTH I don't have experience in any other canister - just know this one is quiet and dependable.
55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone know anything about the Eheim 227 Wet/Dry canister? The guy at Petsmart reluctantly is allowing me to return the filter (after he tried to sell me fluval media and bigger proquatics media that will be discontinued in a month after sale). They sell the wet/dry... it is pretty pricey... the 227 is $180. It is rated up to a 93g which is good because I don't plan on using a canister with my next setup. The problem that I saw with the fluval and the rena (which I was considering as I have heard mixed emotions about the fluvals) was that their outlet hoses didn't really look like something that would work with my inline heater.
MattP725 is offline   Reply With Quote

canister, filter, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com