Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have made the decision to go with a sump/ fuge. It may cost more initially but from what I can tell it'll be completely worth it. I am working on setting up my 75 gallon reef ready tank now. I purchased the Aqueon proflex model 3 sump and it is fantastic from my initial experience. Thanks for all the help and great feedback from everyone. I can't wait to dive into this hobby.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wait, I'm a bit confused, I have been running twin xP3s on my 60g and have not been realy happy. These filters are $140+ each. I tool one off and built a 10g sump and fuge, with a PVC overflow (not drilled) for $90. The pump being the most expensive item of 60$ for a 700gph. I built a 1inch overflow and I am getting 350+ gph out of my sump and refuge. Also notice I set it up as a top skimmer, no more proteins floating in my tank!

IMO you made a good choice, but they are not as expensive if you make one, unless you buy a pre built one. I have no "arts and crafts" abilities at all and I made this work! I am however interested to see a pic of yours when it's set up!

Don't judge, I added new sand and it clouded up a little.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm also looking into the sump but I don't now how to plum it. Or how to know how many gph I need. I have a 30 gallon tank
Old 05-25-2012, 03:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thartsockpg
I'm also looking into the sump but I don't now how to plum it. Or how to know how many gph I need. I have a 30 gallon tank
Plumbing is the easy part. Check out PVC overflow on youtube. Also, look at some vids people did on DIY sump. I would think 375gph would be pretty good for a 30. That is a 1" pipe. Remember that pumps lose so much gph with every foot of elevation the water travels. That's why we use valves to fine tune the sump!

Tags
55 gallon, filtration, ich, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com