which filtration type to choose new 55gal setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joekpayne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright, I've been searching for a while now and cant find the answer I'm looking for.
I'm new the hobby. I have a 55gal tank with plenty of room under the stand for a sump. I want to use a sump for my filtration but it seems like its going to go over my budget. I plan on starting with a FOWLR tank, with hopes of someday moving to a reef tank.
My question is would it be ok to go with a canister filter if I commit to cleaning it on a weekly basis to prevent it from becoming a "nitrate factory" or is my only option a sump? The tank that I have is not drilled for a sump and if I choose not to build my own sump and drill it seems that it'll cost a lot more initially. I really like the idea of having most things hidden in the stand and that's why I'm leaning towards canister filter.
I've looked into glass-holes.com for the overflow and then an inexpensive sump. but that'll run me around $250 where I can find canister for $130.
The only drawback I can find on the canister is that it requires more maint. than people think.
All of your help is much appreciated.

Nitrates are removed by bacteria. Bacteria grows primarily on live rock, sand, etc. Cleaning a canister filter will just kill the bacteria. I have a 440 gallon reef tank with two sumps which is the right way to do it. I think a bio-pellet reactor is more important than a sump on a 55 gallon. Use plenty of live rock in the tank.

my 55 has a hang on back skimmer and a fluval 305 canister filter. These 2 keep my nitrates at about a consistent 5. If I over feed or something my nitrates will go to 10. With these 2 filters I keep many coral of all types. I have mushrooms, zoa's, star polyps, plate coral, open brain, sun coral (yellow and black), pipe organ, colt, finger leather, torch, hammer, galaxy, favia and this big hard coral that i don't know the name of. I have 5 fish, a solar fairy rasse, coral beauty angel, blue cromis, pj cardinal and a japanese swallow tail.

With that bio load and the canister/skimmer i do get hair algea. Its not rampant but it pops up in tufts that I remove with my fingers. My coraline is amazing and I don't get algae on the glass. I just left my system with an auto feeder and went away for 8 days. when I came back my tank looked as I left it but the nitrates had risen to 10 so I did a 20% water change.

so yes, a canister with a skimmer is "good enough". If I had known a year ago when I set it up the benefits of a sump with a fuge i would have gone that route but my cabinet has no room for even a 10 gallon.

I kept my 55 running with a fluval 305 canister filter and always had 0 nitrates. it's just a matter of keeping it clean, not overfeeding the tank, not overstocking and proper water changes. :)

Keep those things in check and a canister can be a great filter for that size tank. I ran carbon and gfo when necessary and the trays were perfect for that. The rest of the trays I just had biomedia in and rinsed in tank water when cleaning the filter/.

I have a 20g long tank for my sump. Buying sumps can be expensive. My suggestion is to set up a sump with a good quality skimmer

Garybrooke said:
Nitrates are removed by bacteria. Bacteria grows primarily on live rock, sand, etc. Cleaning a canister filter will just kill the bacteria. I have a 440 gallon reef tank with two sumps which is the right way to do it. I think a bio-pellet reactor is more important than a sump on a 55 gallon. Use plenty of live rock in the tank.

Nitrates are not removed by bacteria, nitrites are. Cleaning a filter does not kill the bacteria as long as you use tank water and don't let the media dry out.

Ok it is starting to make a little more sense now. Thanks for all of the responses. I'm a little confused when you say to clean the canister filter with tank water how I go about doing that? sorry I'm very green with this yet. Would I remove some tank water or use and rinse it in my sink or literally dunk the media into the tank? I feel like I sound very dumb for not understanding.

I do plan on doing a protein skimmer either way. Does anyone have a recommended one that would be budget friendly yet good quality?

I have made the decision to go with a sump/ fuge. It may cost more initially but from what I can tell it'll be completely worth it. I am working on setting up my 75 gallon reef ready tank now. I purchased the Aqueon proflex model 3 sump and it is fantastic from my initial experience. Thanks for all the help and great feedback from everyone. I can't wait to dive into this hobby.

Wait, I'm a bit confused, I have been running twin xP3s on my 60g and have not been realy happy. These filters are $140+ each. I tool one off and built a 10g sump and fuge, with a PVC overflow (not drilled) for $90. The pump being the most expensive item of 60$ for a 700gph. I built a 1inch overflow and I am getting 350+ gph out of my sump and refuge. Also notice I set it up as a top skimmer, no more proteins floating in my tank!

IMO you made a good choice, but they are not as expensive if you make one, unless you buy a pre built one. I have no "arts and crafts" abilities at all and I made this work! :) I am however interested to see a pic of yours when it's set up!

Don't judge, I added new sand and it clouded up a little.

I'm also looking into the sump but I don't now how to plum it. Or how to know how many gph I need. I have a 30 gallon tank

Thartsockpg said:
I'm also looking into the sump but I don't now how to plum it. Or how to know how many gph I need. I have a 30 gallon tank

Plumbing is the easy part. Check out PVC overflow on youtube. Also, look at some vids people did on DIY sump. I would think 375gph would be pretty good for a 30. That is a 1" pipe. Remember that pumps lose so much gph with every foot of elevation the water travels. That's why we use valves to fine tune the sump! :)

Back
Top Bottom