Which fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craque

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just came across a great deal and jumped into the reef side of things a bit earlier than I had anticipated. I purhcased 150 lbs. of LR that included some leathers over a dozen feather dusters, mushrooms, polyps, and a few other things all for $300 :D . That bring my total to about 220 lbs of LR in my 125. I currently have:

1 Maroon Clown
1 Yellow Tang
1 Hippo Tang
1 Emporer Snapper
1 Purple Firefish
1 Pink Spot Watchman

I would just like to know if you guys recommend certain types of fish that are reef safe. I would like the smallest fish to be no smaller that 4-5 fully grown. Any help would be appreciated.

Also Tank Specs are as follows

125 Gallon w/ 220 lbs. of LR
1 Red Sea Berlin Skimmer on 950 gph pump w/ extra kent venturi inline
1 Filstar XP3
1 1200 gph pump as return from sump
2 802s 3 402s
4 96 watt PCs - 2 10K bulbs 2 Blue 03 bulbs

Salinity 1.023
PH 8.2
Nitrates 10 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
Phosphates 0 ppm

Have been adding Calcium, Iodine, SuperBuffer Dkh but only purchased the calcium and Alk test kits today. What should my calcium and alk reading be at???

I have a controversial suggestion.. and it all depends on your fish sizes and what kind of inverts you have in your tank. If your fish are all in the 4" or larger range and you have all corals and few motile inverts, I would suggest one of the lionfish as a nice addition to a tank this size, particullarly a Pterois radiata.. they get 8" long.. are beautiful fish, and docile toward other fish IF WELL FED. I have seen the even larger Volitans lionfish kept in a tank with damsels and a few coral banded shrimp.. and everyone seemed to be happy. Conventional wisdom says they will eat anything half thier body size or less., so maybe starting with a small 3" to 4" specemin would be best. There are smaller "dwarf" speies but the are more demanding, less hardy and more secretive than their larger cousins.

If that oesn't appeal to ou.. what about one or more of the "reef safe" wrasses? Here is a link to some info on them and some pics (it's a commercial site) http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=1378

Back
Top Bottom