Which fish are known jumpers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only one golden rule...proceed with caution or disappointment and wasted money is in the future. That's why this forum is good IMO. The LFS wants to sell you as much as you can carry out or they aren't very good businessmen. That being said, there are some starter fish that you should go with. A puffer or a tang are not close to being starter fish. I know you want them, but trust us, there will be a time, but not now. Keep reading threads here and you will hear true stories about people's success's and some failures. With tangs in particular. There is one common thread, those that stuck with it and let there tanks season and their knowledge build are successful. I wish when I started in saltwater many years ago, I had access to the knowledge there is available now. I would have spent far less money and many, many fish wouldn't have been wasted in my learning curve.

'nuff said

Last edited:
Gregcoyote said:
Only one golden rule...proceed with caution or disappointment and wasted money is in the future. That's why this forum is good IMO. The LFS wants to sell you as much as you can carry out or they aren't very good businessmen. That being said, there are some starter fish that you should go with. A puffer or a tang are not close to being starter fish. I know you want them, but trust us, there will be a time, but not now. Keep reading threads here and you will hear true stories about people's success's and some failures. With tangs in particular. There is one common thread, those that stuck with it and let there tanks season and their knowledge build are successful. I wish when I started in saltwater many years ago, I had access to the knowledge there is available now. I would have spent far less money and many, many fish wouldn't have been wasted in my learning curve.

'nuff said

Couldnt agree more...thanks to the advice i found here, my first sw build took over 4 months before i even filled up the tank. Within the next almost 5 months, we only added 3 fish. As a result, in almost a year of reefing only one fish has died. The way to go is SLOW! I thank the people here and Severum Mama for really getting that point across.

And back to the thread topic, ahh i really dislike when fish jump and die...like i REALLY dislike it! It is such a waste of money, time, and life! Ive never had a jumper but i read about them all day it seems. I just dont see why people dont add a little netting to the hood. Honestly, ANYTHING can jump it seems! Eels, clowns, gobies, any wrasse, most blennys, hawkfish, dartfish, etc all have the potential to jump..i hate the idea of risking it!

But that being said, i dont think ive ever heard of a cardinalfish jumping...but maybe im wrong (y)

Jawfish and firefish are notorious jumpers. Eels don't always jump, sometimes they crawl out. Lol. Not all wrasses jump, but you may not want to risk it. I have a six line that has never jumped (when startled, he instantly dashes into the rocks to hide) and an exquisite wrasse who has bounced off the lights (was loud) and into the overflow (took hours to figure out that's where he was) once, and made it to the carpet once as well. I now have a lid.
My pajama cardinals are very chill and also tend to go low when startled. My clowns (ocellaris) have never shown the slightest interest in jumping although the female shoves her head out of water at feeding time. My foxface has made some huge splashes at the surface, but never actually left the water.
Oh, and Greg, love the clam comment. That made me lol.

Thanks everyone, yea I'm taking it very slowly, the one friend I have that's also into this hobby loves rushing into everything and he has to do almost everything over, two or more times. Not me, I ordered my tank almost 7 months ago and said I wouldn't start buying the rest of the stuff till the winter to avoid having to buy a chiller (if needed) till next summer. I could start running my tank now with the basics but I wanna wait till I have everything and just do it all at once. So yea, ill probably move VERY slow when it comes to stocking my tank as well. Ill be happy with rock sand and a cleaner crew for a few months lol

When I started off I had a fish only with live rock an had 2 perculas for a year before I put anything else in it. If u have the 3 most important things u are on your way. 1 good lighting, 2 good skimmer and 3 a good filter. You sound patient and that's a very good thing. The only jumper I had was my fuzzy dwarf lion.

Back
Top Bottom