Which fixture would you choose.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which fixture should I choose for my 46g Reef to keep SPS corals

• Coralife Aqualight Pro,1X150W HQI & 2X65W CF, 36 inch $453 (280W)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Current USA Outer Orbit,1x150W HQI & 2X96W CF,36 inch $418 (342W)

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Current USA 6x39W Nova Extreme Pro T5HO $324 (234W)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Keep my 36" lunar aqualight CF & buy new bulbs $90 (196W)

• Captive Sun Deluxe -1x250W MH + 2x95W VHO (Bulbs NOT Included) $379 (440W)

• I know of a cheaper choice that will allow you to keep SPS corals

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking at light fixtures for x-mas I am debating between these. Please help me choose

Its for a 46g bowfront Reef tank

Last edited:
Are you looking at a reef...also tank size. I like the Nova Extreme Pros.

I am looking to upgrade my reef aquarium to be able to keep more types of corals. I put my choices into a poll to vote on. Any suggestions are appreciated. Its for a 46gallon Bowfront. It has a center brace which may shield some of the MH light if the MH is in the center of the fixture.

Another thing I am considering is bulb cost. To replace the CF every 6months is kinda spendy. $90 twice per year is $180 which really adds to the long-term expense.The bulbs I have now are at about 1year because of the cost. Does anybody have an idea of what the cost is to replace 6 T5 bulbs? And how often do the MH bulbs need to be changed don't they last a bit longer? And If I got the t5 fixture wouldn't I still be limited on what I can keep. Like A Clam? Or an anemone

VHO Aquarium Lighting: Hamilton Magnetic SuperPower VHO Systems

Could go a cheaper route and go with VHO retro fits
I am nervous that this would not be enough lighting. the bulbs are 95watt x2 it would be the same wattage as what I have now just a different type. Would VHO allow me to do SPS at under 4watts per gallon

And is the 6bulb t5 fixture enough lighting to keep pretty much anything I want? The fact that they run cooler than MH, and the bulbs are cheaper is a great plus. But is it enough??

I am nervous big time about the decision I don't want to have to buy another fixture for this tank ever again.

Interesting such different opinions. I need some more votes to help me feel better about a decision. I got votes to keep my Compact Flourescent bulbs for SPS corals I have been told this is definately not enough light.

You`d have to do a double set like I do.

I priced it at DrFosters&Smith for a double set with 4 bulbs @380watts VHO and the cost not including shipping is $422 So its not really cheaper.

CD-880143 SuperPower VHO Systems 36" 2-95W $161.49 x = $322.98 CD-160990 Actinic "03" 36" 95W $19.49 x = $38.98 CD-161049 AquaSun 36" 95W $29.99 x = $59.98
dot_clear.gif
Subtotal=$421.94

You don't seem to know exactly what you want to keep. That is why I voted for the highest wattage...440w. That way you can keep just about anything you want.
melosu58 has the most beautiful mix tank and under t-8,or was it t-5, lights to boot. I believe that the t-5's last 1-1 1/2 years. not bad...

I know I don't want to have to buy another fixture. So I want high light and low light corals I guess. I am pretty much stuck between the Nova Extreme and the Outer Orbit. I found the Nova Extreme cheaper on E-bay for $305 I think with the Nova Extreme I should be able to keep both low-light and high light corals. But is it intense enough for an anemone? If I decide to get one? The Nova extreme T5 fixture is $100 cheaper and the bulbs are much cheaper. But the Outer Orbit is more intense MH lighting. DIY lighting would be awesome but doesn't seem to save me any money$$$
I think I just talked myself into the 6bulb T5 fixture I just need re-assurance I can keep anything I want with that fixture.
If I can't keep whatever I want with the T5 fixture I will spend the money on a more intense fixture. But then will that prevent me from keeping the lower light corals.

Decisions Decisions Decisions ????

I don't think 234w is enough light for long term anemone upkeep. How long is your tank? I think the benni of DIY is you can buy the equip. piece mill and break down the cost that way...ie $200 this month, $200 next month until you have what you need.

I don't think 234w is enough light for long term anemone upkeep. How long is your tank? I think the benni of DIY is you can buy the equip. piece mill and break down the cost that way...ie $200 this month, $200 next month until you have what you need.

36" The Nova Extreme Pro with 6 t5 bulbs @ 39W each on a 46g would be 5.08 watts per gallon of T5 lighting currently I have 4.26w of Compact Flourescent. The DIY way doesn't seem effective long-term.

I would look at something that has the HQI MH and T5HO actinics. PC bulbs are expensive, get hot and don't last very long. You can get 12+ months out of T5s.

Back
Top Bottom