Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Which goby?

I am making a first fish addition to my tank today and I am thinking a sand sifting goby. What do you guys think? Its a 46g bow reef. Only livestock is a damsel which is coming out.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your tank is not established (old) then your sand sifting goby wont have any food and he will die. You might want to rethink your fish choices now...

Old 08-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Well I have 60 pounds of established live rock in it from a friends tank and I took about 5 pounds of his sand. I bearly had a cycle. I look in there at night and I see a ton of pods. So I think his food source is going to be ok. Id bet there is hundreds of pods.... That is what they eat isnt it?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im just trying to find something that will keep the sand stirred. Maybe I should go with some nassurus snails and get a active fish or two instead...
Old 08-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8z2luze View Post
Well I have 60 pounds of established live rock in it from a friends tank and I took about 5 pounds of his sand. I bearly had a cycle. I look in there at night and I see a ton of pods. So I think his food source is going to be ok. Id bet there is hundreds of pods.... That is what they eat isnt it?
Not exactly. They sift the sand eating the microfuana within it. Tiny organisms that live within a live sand bed. Generally they are not advised without a large established deep sand bed. However they also undermine a DSB's effectiveness so its a give and take kinda thing. If your looking to keep the surface stirred Nassarius snails are great!
Old 08-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

And thats why I always post here before adding thanks guys. With that said, What do you think I should get. I was thinking maybe a mated pair of clowns....
Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8z2luze
And thats why I always post here before adding thanks guys. With that said, What do you think I should get. I was thinking maybe a mated pair of clowns....
Hard to go wrong with clowns they make a great addition to most tanks.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had a pink bar goby who was a great addition to my tank, he would only sift the sand every once in awhile. But unfortunately he decided to go carpet diving last night...
Old 08-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can still go with a sand sifting goby. Some of them you can supplement with mysis.

Yellow Head Goby will keep your sand stirred and they love mysis!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I decided against fish today and got the start of my cuc. Updated my thread. "my 46 bow"

Tags
goby, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com