Which goby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am making a first fish addition to my tank today and I am thinking a sand sifting goby. What do you guys think? Its a 46g bow reef. Only livestock is a damsel which is coming out.

If your tank is not established (old) then your sand sifting goby wont have any food and he will die. You might want to rethink your fish choices now...

Well I have 60 pounds of established live rock in it from a friends tank and I took about 5 pounds of his sand. I bearly had a cycle. I look in there at night and I see a ton of pods. So I think his food source is going to be ok. Id bet there is hundreds of pods.... That is what they eat isnt it?

Im just trying to find something that will keep the sand stirred. Maybe I should go with some nassurus snails and get a active fish or two instead...

Well I have 60 pounds of established live rock in it from a friends tank and I took about 5 pounds of his sand. I bearly had a cycle. I look in there at night and I see a ton of pods. So I think his food source is going to be ok. Id bet there is hundreds of pods.... That is what they eat isnt it?

Not exactly. They sift the sand eating the microfuana within it. Tiny organisms that live within a live sand bed. Generally they are not advised without a large established deep sand bed. However they also undermine a DSB's effectiveness so its a give and take kinda thing. If your looking to keep the surface stirred Nassarius snails are great!

And thats why I always post here before adding :) thanks guys. With that said, What do you think I should get. I was thinking maybe a mated pair of clowns....

h8z2luze said:
And thats why I always post here before adding :) thanks guys. With that said, What do you think I should get. I was thinking maybe a mated pair of clowns....

Hard to go wrong with clowns;) they make a great addition to most tanks.

I had a pink bar goby who was a great addition to my tank, he would only sift the sand every once in awhile. But unfortunately he decided to go carpet diving last night...

You can still go with a sand sifting goby. Some of them you can supplement with mysis.

Yellow Head Goby will keep your sand stirred and they love mysis!

Well I decided against fish today and got the start of my cuc. Updated my thread. "my 46 bow"

h8z2luze said:
Well I decided against fish today and got the start of my cuc. Updated my thread. "my 46 bow"

Good choice, cant go wrong starting with a CUC. What did you get?

Well considering I didn't have much cash I got a emerald crab cause I've always wanted one then I got 6 asarius (or however you spell it) snails and 10 hermits blue/red legged

h8z2luze said:
Well considering I didn't have much cash I got a emerald crab cause I've always wanted one then I got 6 asarius (or however you spell it) snails and 10 hermits blue/red legged

Sound good, but just as a heads up the nassarius snails are scavenging meat eater so they will require some food along with the hermits. Just a little bit will go a long way. Until you get some fish then you feed the fish and the snails and hermits will munch on the leftovers.

Schism said:
Sound good, but just as a heads up the nassarius snails are scavenging meat eater so they will require some food along with the hermits. Just a little bit will go a long way. Until you get some fish then you feed the fish and the snails and hermits will munch on the leftovers.

I had a diamond sleeper gobie did a good job stirring sand and also ate frozen food but +1 on nass snails

Well maybe If I can find one that eats shrimp then I will get one! I'd like to have a goby! :)

Our yasha hase goby eats mysis, brine shrimp, and bloodworms with no problem. We have him paired with a red banded pistol shrimp.

Attachments

• goby and shrimp.jpg
    goby and shrimp.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 266
I have to agree with waiting on the goby. I got a diamond watchman and it's pretty hard to keep him fed without putting in tons of food. He cleared my tank of pods in less then a week and I now have to hand feed him. I would wait a while before you get one. :)

Back
Top Bottom