Which Goby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm going to pick up a goby but I can't decide whether to go with a diamond watchman or a sleeper banded. My 10g QT just cycled but it's bare bottom with PVC so would the sleeper be ok? I'm leaning more towards him

Or I can go with a lawn lower blenny as well. My tank is a 17g mixed reef but I'm upgrading to at least a 30g by this summer and am looking to purchase a 150 cube so I could always transfer ther if size is an issue.

My planned stock was this:
Pair of Oce clowns
Purple firefish
Goby or blenny

My only concerns are the fact that my QT is bare bottom. Otherwise I would really like the LM blenny as I've read they have great personality. Do they nip at sps though? I would assume they wouldn't if they have a good supply of algae or nori sheets supplementation.

Heres the thing, both of those gobys need an established sand bed to feed off of. I would look into shrimp gobys? I thought your already got a little LM blenny? And mine doesnt nip at SPS at all. Stock for the 30 should be fine. I would instead of adding 1 purple fire fish add a pair, i have a pair in my 37g and love watching them doing ritual mating dances often.

Last edited:
Yeah, this was an old thread lol I've since gone with a LMB and 1 purple firefish.

None right now but I'll take a picture tomorrow night after work. He's in QT right now but is almost ready to go into the DT. The LMB has been in the DT for about a week now and is doing great.

None right now but I'll take a picture tomorrow night after work. He's in QT right now but is almost ready to go into the DT. The LMB has been in the DT for about a week now and is doing great.

Thats great your blennys doing well, my baby starry infested my 20 with gill flukes and i had to order prazipro and have been dosing every 4 days now. Also doing a FW dip on all the fish in there today.

Oh that sucks! Good luck with the dosing, I'm sure everything will sort itself out in due time.

Last time I used prazipro I didn't get much out of it. I mean, it helped but not what I expected. Patience is key though.

Back
Top Bottom