Which is a better nano crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm deciding between the pom pom crab and the strawberry crab. The tank is 6 gallons. I'm gonna run a zoomed cannister with purigen because it worked well on my fluval edge. But I don't think either has a huge bio load, even in a tank this small.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't you have a mantis in this tank? Either would just be an expensive meal...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No this is a different tank. The mantis is in the fluval edge. I saw this tank at the lfs and bought it for $10. It's obviously been used so I'm gonna clean it out with vinegar. The dimensions are weird but I measured it and did the math and it's a little over 6gal.

I filled it up today and so far no leaks

In a perfect world I'd like to have both... But would they fight? Like BigRedReefs10 said they're expensive. So I wouldn't consider either of them expendable. If it's a risk then I'll just choose one or the other.

I had two strawberrys and they didnt last very long. I also had pom poms and they did fine for quite awhile. they lost their pom poms though. :-(
I would add the pom poms. :)

It's weird that they lost their anemones because I read that if one dies then the crab splits apart the surviving one and transfers it to the other claw. Maybe your crab just didn't feel the need for the defense offered by the anemones?

When I had pom poms, prior to my marine betta, one lost one of his and just ran around with the one. It can be common for one to get lost. There have even been stories of them losing one and not having it for weeks only to 'find' and pick it up again. Unsure if this was a 'split' like you are describing, but I have never heard of the crab fragging himself a new friend before.

When I had pom poms, prior to my marine betta, one lost one of his and just ran around with the one. It can be common for one to get lost. There have even been stories of them losing one and not having it for weeks only to 'find' and pick it up again. Unsure if this was a 'split' like you are describing, but I have never heard of the crab fragging himself a new friend before.

I read that somewhere too, article said it chops it in two pieces... I think they are pretty amazing looking and would love to have one, a Pom Pom. So following others experiences here too.

The other tank... Anything in the tank for a Mantis shrimp would be a meal from what I have read. Or were you meaning a Pom Pom OR a Strawberry crab and not both kinds of Crabs in the new 6G? If you get one I would love to see the pics.

I've heard strawberry crabs (if you are not talking about the hermit crab) are not reef safe, even though liveaquaria lists it as so. The strawberry crab I've read have been reported to attack fish. Also pom pom crabs are rarely seen, but they are very interesting. I have heard that some grow an anemone under a rock, but that I have heard only once. Maybe the Hawaiian ones are different?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol I meant pom pom and strawberry. I don't think anything is going in with the mantis.

i had my pom pom lost one of the nems and weeks later, it "found" one even though there's no nem in my tank. my guess is that the nem from the other arm split.

In a perfect world I'd like to have both... But would they fight? Like BigRedReefs10 said they're expensive. So I wouldn't consider either of them expendable. If it's a risk then I'll just choose one or the other.

They shouldn't, but in small tanks you never know. Every animal has it's own personality.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom