Which is better for SW, 29gal or 30 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have my SW setup in a 29gal right now, but I need to get rid of some of these extra tanks that I have sitting around.

So what I was wondering, is would it be better to keep my SW setup in the 29gal, or would it be better to move everything to the 30gal?

Once I get the money for improved lighting, I'd like to get into corals and such, and a shallower tank would be easier as far as light intensity.

But then again it dosn't have the verticle room rock stacking and what not.

I have to get one of these tanks out of my house, and I would like to get everyones opinion here..

If you were in this position, what would you do? Would you leave it in the 29gal or would you move it to the 30gal?

EDIT

If it helps decision making any, I'm most likely going to have to move the 29gal SW from where it is, anyway. So Thats probably a big thing as to weither or not you would tank switch..

My opnion is. If your gonna do it do it now. Before you have fish and sensitive coral. Heck go for it..

Doan

Thats why I'm pondering doing it now, because I know it'd be a heck of alot more tedius when I have fish to worry about.

reefrunner69 said:
I agree go with the 30, it has more surface area, which translates to a better tank for your fish.

Also won't need to send light at deep in your tank.

There is only 3 inches difference in height so thats not to much of an issue. I had this same dilemma and used a 29, though I now wish I had used the 30. I think the fish would be better off with more horizontal swimming space. Also you can incorporate 36" bulbs (95 watts VHO) into your system w/ the 30, w/ the 29 your limited to 24"(75 watts VHO).

I think I've settled on moving everything to the 30.

I just need to get a piece of glass cut, or pick up some eggcrate for the top.

No LFS within 40 miles carries standard 36inch glass hoods, Which has irritated me quite a bit.

Every single one has umpteen billion 36inch EURO [ Bow'd ] tops, but no standards. :bad-words:

Anyways, soon as I get some sort of a top for the tank, I'll move everything in there.

Thanks for your opinions.

Back
Top Bottom