Which is the best tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I'm looking into getting a nice tang. I'm curious, and I want to know your opinions:

1. Which tang would you rank best for algae consumption?

2. Which tang would you rate as the prettiest, without being very difficult to care for?

3. Which has a nicer personality (it's going in with community fish and some clowns)?

Thanks!

i knwo convict tang are really good algae eaters, but the algae in a tank would nto suffice a tang

i personnnly love sailfin tangs if i could i would have a school of them 4-6

hippo tang from what i know seem really godd tempered

Hippos do have a bit better temperment than some of the others, but they can get quite large. A yellow or purple tang is hard to beat. They usually aren't too aggressive toward other fish...just other tangs.

Love my Yellow, highly recommended. They are beautiful, interesting and (mine at least) seen to get along with others. Here is a pic of her and her best buddy, my maculosus.

i think its awesome that your fish have buddies, all i have are the damsels and they just kill everything

i'm probably going for a yellow myself when i get rid of the above mentioned damsels and get a few clowns and maybe a blenny

from what i read about them, they need the least amount of space, easy to care for and can be good in the community, plus they have that bright color to add to the tank

ClamKnuckle said:
i think its awesome that your fish have buddies, all i have are the damsels and they just kill everything

i'm probably going for a yellow myself when i get rid of the above mentioned damsels and get a few clowns and maybe a blenny

from what i read about them, they need the least amount of space, easy to care for and can be good in the community, plus they have that bright color to add to the tank

The yellow would put the Damsels in line. 8) Don't get me wrong, she is no wimp. When I first put her in, my Angel beat the crap our of her. She never backed down (lot of tail wacking) and now they are "always" together. Its a cool relationship. Yes she is easy to care for, eats everything and adds a lot of color to the tank. She has become more bold with time and actually comes up to us at the glass now. :) Go for it!!

I've read that the purple needs more swimming room thats why i think i'm going for a yellow...I have a 90 but I still don't want it to be cramped you know?

edit...want, ant whats the difference

Yellows are fairly cheap and get along with other fish IME. Just add it last, I noticed with any new addition if its at least half their size they will attack it for the first 2-5 days. I currently have 8 yellows together, and they have formed a school.

2 of the 7 new ones didn't make it. Im left with my original 3 and the 5 new ones. All in good shape now.

I've got a 125gal, but I think 3 purples would be a bit much. I'm gonna stick to 1 :)
Thanks for the advice guys!

I had a purple years ago, in a 75g and it did just fine. I am presently looking for a new purple for my 150. The bigger the better!

Back
Top Bottom