Which Macro-Algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well - I'm about to fill my first refugium. It is about 35% of my 28 gal sump. I've got a 24 watt 50/50 light and intended to put an inch of LS in first. I'll probably add a few snails, worms, stars and a clam or two, along with a mess of pods.

I've heard that some macros grow out of control and can go sexual (?) and pollute the fuge, killing its occupants. I'd like to put in half red and half green algae if that would work. What macro algae do you guys recommend?

While I'm at it - what's the story with refugium mud?

I use a bunch of different kinds in my fuge. I have Caulerpa, Halimeda, Chaetomorpha and a couple of others that I can't remember the names of. The caulerpa can go sexual and cause problems but I haven't had any. I also run my fuge lights 24/7 to help gaurd against that. I like having a varity in my fuge because they each have a benefit to offer.

With any macro algae used, it will need pruning to keep growth under control. Over growth can block out light and choke the water of oxygen.

If you live in California you may have a hard time finding caulerpa species. They have been banned here for a few years now.

I believe Chaetomorpha and Caulerpa racemosa are the most efficient exporters. As for Rhodophyta, I prefer Botrycladia sp. Find a "reef club" in your area since many aquarists prune their macros regularly and literally give them away.

I use grape calerpa but it needs to be prunned often and lights on 24/7 or it will go what they call sexual.

Back
Top Bottom