which protien skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsquared333

Aquarium Advice Freak
Which protien skimmer would be the most effective for a 46 gal reef tank with a 20-30 gal sump/fuge? The three I have narrowed it down to are the Bak-Pak 2R, the Aqua C remora, or the Aqua c urchin. I want to put the skimmer in the sump/fuge.

The bak pak is less exspensive but the remora will skim better than the bak pak and requires less maintenance. I would just go with a urchin if you want an in sump skimmer and a remora if you think you will ever need to run it on a sumpless tank.

I have a red sea prizm protein skimmer...it works very well in my 29 gallon. It is rated for 75 gallons I believe. It didn't break the bank and was rated well on other websites.

Do you want the skimmer to sit in the sump or hang on the back of it? That will decide whether you go with the Urchin or Remora. My advice would be either an Urchin Pro or Remora Pro with a Mag 3 pump. That, although it does cost a bit more, would give you a lot more skimming capacity than the regular Remora/Urchin or and Bak Pak. Another option would be the ASM G-2x although that would be a lot of skimmer for a 46g tank. JMHO.

Checkout the following site. it will help you out with deciding

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i1/protein_skimmer_impressions.htm

and buy from CaptiveReefs as they will give youa good deal with aa.com 6% discount

I have a red sea prizm protein skimmer...it works very well in my 29 gallon. It is rated for 75 gallons I believe. It didn't break the bank and was rated well on other websites.

Thanks for all the info. I wasn't sure if the using an in sump in the sump or using a hang on on the sump would make a big difference. I looks like one of the aqua C's would do the job most efficently. any other info would be appreciated.

anyone have any opinions between the urchin and the remora. I have heard a lot of good about the remora on this site but not much mention of the urchin.

would it be just as efficent hang an Aqua C remora pro on the back of the aquarium instead of putting it in the sump? I have been doing some more research and I am really liking the Aqua C remora pro and just am not sure if it will fit with my sump/fuge so I might just hang it on the back of the aquarium itself.

you can always hang it of the side of the sump! The urchin and remora series are identical in the way they produce bubbles. Only difference in them is the way they are to mounted into the system.

Back
Top Bottom