Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Which pump is sufficient for a SCWD?

I currently have a Mag 9.5 that I ordered and haven't used. Thinking about setting up a SCWD before I get the tank running. It's going on a 72g tank with a little over 4' head. I'm about to exchange this pump for a Mag12. What do you think?

Old 09-10-2004, 05:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
I am assuming this is your main return pump as well? Depending on your drains/overflows I would definately go bigger. I ran a mag 12 on a 73 bow and always felt like it wasn't enough. Now it's on a 50.

R-

Old 09-10-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Not sure, I'll check when I get home what I'm using. One thing about a SCWD. Mine works well, but I do get bubbles out of it. A little annoying. Any yes I have checked, no leaks.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
on my tank it works great. no bubbles but i did see that if the pump was off there would be air in the unit (scwd) and i found if you tap it on some thing they will be nocked loss and there will be no more bubbles. i love the thing, but i would put it on a closed loop becasue the kmore water you pump on it the faster it changes, so you might want to do like a closed loop with it on the tank.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, it will also be the main pump. The drain is 1" and return is 3/4". It's a AGA tank w/ the Megaflow kit.

Someone told me with the Mag12, the SCWD will alternate approx every 4secs.

As for the closed loop. I'm not sure if I wanna go that route. In addition to the SCWD, I wanted to add a couple ph on a wavemaker of some sort. I current have a couple MJ1200, but think Im going to get 900s instead because they are way more efficient and run cooler at the sacrifice of minimal gph flow.

I've been following another thread about the Rio SEIOs. Supposively, they are suppose to release a new version specifically designed for their wavemaker.

Should I go with a mag18? Any pump recommendations?
Old 09-11-2004, 02:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you only have a single 1" drain you will have to throttle back even a Mag 12 w/ head height and a SCWD. If I am not mistaken the single megaflow is only rated at 600 GPH. If you indeed only have the single I'd stick with the 9 or perhaps a 12 for maximun capacity and 3 or 4 powerheads on a wavemaker. I would just hate to see you get a larger pump only to have to cut it back with a ball valve. That's like driving a corvette with a governor on it. 8O

R-
Old 09-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I have to throttle back the 12, will just closing the ball valve a bit work? Or will I have to T the return and drain part of it back into the sump?
Old 09-11-2004, 08:30 PM   #8

The mag 12's are perfect for the SCWDS. This is what i always recomend to people! I have some customersw using the mag 18 but I do not recomend it.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A ball valve wil work and should be in place even if you do not have to throttle it back. You never know when you need to cut the flow without unplugging the pump. And as Darin and I both suggested a 12 is great, but not if you have to cut it back to the point it is running at a 9.5 output. Check the rating on you overflow.

R-
Old 09-12-2004, 09:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. The AGA overflow is rated for 600gph. I will have a little bit over 4ft head height.

What's the final word on which pump I should get? Thanks.

Tags
ich, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com