Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Which salt mix to use

Okay so I have been in the hobby since about 2009 I have always used Instant Ocean Reef Crystals with out problems. I don't know why but I want to try a different salt mix but am really unsure which to go and try without effects to my tanks. I have a 29G mixed reef and a 75G fowlr. So I am wanting some opinions from fellow tank owners.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've been using Kent Marine salt almost 4 years mainly for cost ,
I like how the water sparkles I've used other salts including instant ocean but the water always had a murky look to it, the Kent salt also seems to dissolve faster during mixing ,
I also mix as I go I don't pre mix , I store Ro/Di water in a 250g tank and use it as I go it runs continuously to refill tank it shuts off when full ,

Old 01-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you have never had a problem, why would you risk changing just to change?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's what I was thinking to myself but I suppose the reason I am wanting to change is because I used to do a wc every two weeks and I couldn't keep up with cal, alk, and mag levels. Then I switched to weekly wc and I can keep up but on the lower end of my liking and I don't want to start dosing. So with that being said I am looking for a salt mix that can keep up w/o doing weekly wc. I like reef crystals always have I just dont like doing weekly wc but if its a must then I will. I've also have seen reviews on RSCP mixing cloudy and you can't leave it mixing all the time and have to use it right away and I like to keep mixed saltwater on hand.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have used instant ocean for 6-7 years with a 125 mixed reef. I do weekly wc (around 10%)and let it mix 24 hours or more and it is always crystal clear. Will have to admit I test almost never, and when I do they are close but not perfect, but they don't have to be perfect, we spend too much time chasing the perfect test text numbers, the oceans change all the time.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Personally I use reef crystals , that is what the person was using when I picked up my salt tank years ago and I just stuck with it. I have no real reason to change since it has been working good up until now. With a 55 gallon tank and a 10 gallon change every week or so a box lasts me quite a while. I usually buy a box or two online when I find a good deal on it.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That is an easy question, whatever is on sale. I liked Kent, didn't like red sea coral pro, and currently on some of brightwell's that I like as well.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use reef crystals in all my marine.
Only 1 of my tanks eats alk,clacium and mg...
1 out of 4....
I dose calcium hypochlorite, Epsom salt, and baking soda in that tank more then any other..
Sometimes it is the rock or other substance in the tank itself that uses up the nutrient...
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I use reef crystals as well. Started with reef crystals, went through a Red Sea coral pro phase and then back to reef crystals which works well in a heavy dos tank. I also dose kalk in my ato though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #10
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If your just looking for a little more calcium with out dosing I'd go with the Kent marine ,

Tags
ich, salt, salt mix

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com