which skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone, again need help with choosing a skimmer. For no reason my v2 skimmer packed up this morning. It will not be fixed spent all day on it and took it to an expert. So have to get a new. With a limited space and budget there are only 3 suitable candidates:
Reef Octopus Classic-110 SSS Space Saving Protein Skimmer
Skimz SN123 VSC1200 DC Protein Skimmer
Skimz SM121 Monzter Protein Skimmer ES2000

They are all too small for my 630litre tank except one. I was not sure whether to just to go for the biggest recommended tank size skimmer. But then I thought if either the cone skimmer or reef octopus one would far outperform the bigger skimmer then I would get that one. So which one should I get?
Thanks for taking the time to read this and comment.

I'm not familiar with Skimz skimmers and personally have had bad luck with Reef Octopus. Have you looked at any Eshopps skimmers, if they are available to you, as you are struggling to find one that is the right size for your tank?

None of those skimmers are right for you. I recommend making room, rather than using a skimmer built for half your water volume. What is the footprint you have to work with?

So the skimmer I had worked perfectly and was the correct size for a small compartment in my sump. So then I was like great and committed the big compartment to the refugium. Now can't go back and don't want to get the same skimmer. One of the skimmers is good up to 700litres. The compartment size is long and narrow unfortunately. It is:
17cm wide
38cm long
53cm high
Considering most skimmers are square that's were the problem of fitting one is coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From eshopps the psk-150 would also fit.

It can do 150gallons so just over my tank volume.

Haven't looked at price yet hopefully that's good then I might have found the one.

Are the eshopps skimmers any good?

I've spent a couple hours looking and can't find one that big with such a small footprint.

Are the eshopps skimmers any good?
It's all about the pumps they use. If they are using sicce pumps, they should work well.

"17cm wide
38cm long
53cm high"

Nothing worthwhile will fit here.

I believe the skimmer to be more important than the algae. I would drain the sump and move the partition.

Ok I could do this but the height would still be the same and most skimmers that are rated 200gallons are just over my max height. Any short skimmer makes?

A quick Google search led me to Tunze skimmers. They seem to be quite small compared to others and will fit your current design. I have no experience with them however and have a hard time believing they will do what is said of them.
The Tunze Master DOC 9410 skimmer, and the Tunze Comline 9012 skimmers both will fit.
The ridiculously priced 9415 would be a better choice IMO.

The 9415 would be a dream skimmer but the price is too much. I would like to get one of the other tunze skimmers but they are a bit above my price range which is fine just need a while to get that money. Will my tank be ok without a skimmer for a couple of weeks? it only has a juvenile: foxface, bicolour blenny and maroon clown.

If you aren't feeding like crazy you should be ok. If you get one of the Tunze units, please review it for us.

Ok thanks a lot guys you all really helped me out.

Back
Top Bottom