Which Skimmer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeenReefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im thinking about getting a skimmer and dont know which one to get. Ive been looking at the prizim models and they look alright i guess. My 29 gallon FO aquarium, which is 4 months old has been have alge blooms on and off lately. It had one large on during the fist two weeks of cycling but the hermits took care of it. I am using a hang on filter, which i know isnt the greatest, and a powerhead for circulation. If i get a skimmer would i have to use the hang on filter anymore? I dont have LR but have about 20 lbs base rock and some 35 more on the way. I was also thinking about a canister filter, but not sure which way is better. Thanks.

People say Prizms are garbage. I have no expierience personally here.

A Remora will fit that tank. CPR BackPack should too. I love my Urchin (in sump Remora)

My choice would be an Aqua C Remora with a Maxi Jet 1200 pump. I wouldn't even consider anything else. The CPR BakPak is, of course, an option, but people I know who have switched to the Remora say it works much better than the BakPak.

What im really looking for is a good hang on skimmer since i dont have a sump unfortunatly....thanks for the advice anyways!

loganj said:
My choice would be an Aqua C Remora with a Maxi Jet 1200 pump. I wouldn't even consider anything else. The CPR BakPak is, of course, an option, but people I know who have switched to the Remora say it works much better than the BakPak.

Aqua C Remora with a Maxi Jet 1200 pump all the way !
And if you upgrade to a 60 you'll still be fine !
I love mine and soon will be placed on the back of my Fuge...

I like the Bak Pak 2R alot. so...just a different suggestion... you will need your HOB filter as long as you don't have any live rock. And there is nothing wrong with HOB filters. Get a Large Emperor 400 filtration unit and your water will be clean and clear with no problems!

I like my bak-bak 2R...the Remora will serve you well also.
But I speak from experience when I say run FAR away from the Prizm skimmer...it's total junk...but you don't realize how bad of a skimmer it really is until you fight with one for several months and then buy a real skimmer and experience what it can do.

Ditto on the prizm. I stopped selling them because i just could not justify making money off something so horribely designed. The AquaC or the Bakpak will do fine,. The aquaC does require less maintenence an is a touch more powerful but they both work nice.

I'm not happy about having one, but the prizm has been doing ok. Lowered my nitrate by 10ppm in 3 days in a 125 or so gallons. Paid $30 for it, so no real complaints.

The remora is quieter than the bak pak. They both produce noise but afte rthey break in the remora is quieter.

thanks,

I'll be placing that on my christmas list and reccomending captivereefs.com

I went from a Prizm to the Remora. There is absolutly no comparison.

Save the $60 to $70 you would spend on the Prizm for the Remoa. The Prizm was loud, had to be adjusted every other day, some days would produce no foam, others it would fill the cup with water. I speak from my own expeience, it's 100% junk!

I ordered my Remora from CaptiveReefs and could not be happier. Within 3 days of installation it started producing a nice dry foam and I can barley hear the thing running unless I'm standing next to the tank.

Best $165 dollars I've spent since I purchased my Live Rock from LiveRocks.com

If your 4 month old LR is still base rock, get something to seed it. Garf grunge is awesome. GET THE REMORA. If you want reef you "could" go with the CPR BAK-PAK2R (removes BIO-BALE which is nothing but a nitrate farm) but the technology is outdated. The spray driven induction system of the Remora is unmatched in smaller system skimmers

captivereefs said:
The remora is quieter than the bak pak. They both produce noise but afte rthey break in the remora is quieter.
If you increase the length of the intake air hose (double) it quiets them down a fair amount.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom