which tang, yellow, kole or tomini flamefin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will8

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello gang,
firstly i know lot of people say tangs should only be in a 6ft tank, but i have seen alot in 4ft tanks.
i would like one of the above tangs to control the little bit of purple marco growing in part of the tank. thats is not the only reason, they are amazing fish, i like the way they swim about.
my tank is 48x24x20 it holds 350litres and i am in the process of adding a sump which is 35x28x26. i have 50kgs of LR and 10 fish but i am thinking about taking some back to the LFS, my nitrate is always below 5ppm so the LR is doing its job. the fish i have are 2x clowns,2x dwarf angels,2x anthias, royal gramma, humbug dansel, purple firefish and a dragon goby.
which tang would be best suited to my tank.

cheers will

If anything, I would say your tank is probably at its max or pretty close to it.. A tang would probably over tax your system. Is this a 55 or 75 gallon tank?

If you were going to get a tang, I'd say a kole out of those. Id probably get rid of a few fish first. It would probably help with the algae issue as well.

It looks like it`s almost a hundred gallon tank? Yes 6 ft tanks would be better but I believe any of those would do OK. As far as macro consumption I would go with the yellow tang. JMO

I would agree with Melosu and do like the yellow tang. I think `90 galswould be find for a Tang. I would return that "Humbug Damsel" as I see this fish to be you're only problem.

I`ll put a ball of grape calerpa in my tank about the size of a baseball from the fuge and it will be gone in a few days thanks to my yellow and scopas tang.

the tank is 90gallon, iam taking some fish back, the dragon goby, purple firefish, i do want to take 2 more back so i only 6 in there. but i like the rest, i bought the royal gramma for my son because he like pink. the humbug was the first fish i got when i started this hobby a year ago. maybe the anthias but they swim in the open which i like. need a bigger tank. lol

thats right andysam,
i ended up getting a baby hawaii kole tang and a yellow tang. the kole was bright yellow but it is just starting to change colour, going darker.

2 tangs are too much IMO. I would have gotten 1 or the other but not both. Just my opinion.

And even though I understand where you are coming from I personally think he will be OK. Most tangs I would say the same thing but if there was 2 that could make it in a 90 gallon tank I believe those two would make it. I`m not saying your wrong intimatecple, just saying from my experience they will do fine. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Will, I cant get your 1st tank link to work.

i know it does not work. sorry i should take it off. i am not verying good with computers. thought i new what i was doing, but i guess i dont since it does not work. lol

thanks for agreeing with me about the 2 tangs, i just couldnt pick with one to have, i did alot of reading and must of asked 100 people on 4 different forums, and about 90% of them said they both would be ok.

will

thanks for agreeing with me about the 2 tangs, i just couldnt pick with one to have, i did alot of reading and must of asked 100 people on 4 different forums, and about 90% of them said they both would be ok.

You`ll need to go the extra mile though and provide optimal water conditions by doing weekly PWC`s and feeding plenty of dried seaweed since they are herbivores. Liveaquaria says a yellow eyed kole tang needs a 70 gallon minimum which I can see because mine(which I have had 7 yrs now) is not a big swimmer like most tangs. The yellow tang I`ve seen anywhere between 50-100 gallons at most sites. Another thing that will help is that both these tangs are a different color and body shape which means hopefully no or little aggression. Good luck

cheers melosu, i do 10% weekly PWC anyway, and put in nori for the angels, at the moment the tangs have not touch any yet. just picking of the LR.
will

Back
Top Bottom