which tank would you buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dustinfeint

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am gonna pick up a new tank at Petco today as they are having the $1 per gallon sale going on right now. I only have room for a 30 gallon or 20 gallon long tank. I was wondering if somebody could give me suggestions on which one to get and why. Are the extra 10 gallons going to be worth the expense of the live rock, sand, salt, et cetera?

With both your gonna be limited by the species you can put in their.

I should get at least a 55 gallon. It's a great tank to have for your first tank. You'll be able to get the small tang/dwarf angel species that are really cool. I made the mistake of getting a 36 gal bow front and I'm already ready to get a bigger tank lol:) but if that's the only room you have to put a tank go 30 gallon.

The bigger the better. If you get a 20, you'll only want to upgrade to a 30 before long. Definitely worth the money and you can of course have a few more fish in it.

With both your gonna be limited by the species you can put in their.

I should get at least a 55 gallon. It's a great tank to have for your first tank. You'll be able to get the small tang/dwarf angel species that are really cool. I made the mistake of getting a 36 gal bow front and I'm already ready to get a bigger tank lol:) but if that's the only room you have to put a tank go 30 gallon.

+1 on getting the 55. It's not that much more in expenses really, Id buy 50lbs all dry rock from petsolutions.com for $70 free shipping, then throw 10-15lbs of cured live rock in to let it seed the dry rock, also thats only going to be about 60-80lbs of live sand. You can get ocean direct live sand for $35 for a 40lb bag on ebay free shipping, I have a 180 gallon and still dont have room for everything i want. I started with a 55 and still have it going right now. I used all of the above to start my 180 gallon and 55 gal

I'd actually go with the 40B. It's more surface area, which equates to more territory for fish. It's easier to work with for aquascaping because of the added front to back depth and it will be easier and cheaper to light, both because it's not as long or as deep as a 55 and because there is no center brace. Stands are a little harder to find though. It's the same length as a 30 (36"), but 6" bigger front to back.

I dont think petco offers the 40 breeder for the $1 per gallon sale i may be wrong though.

I dont think petco offers the 40 breeder for the $1 per gallon sale i may be wrong though.

I think the way they work it, each store gets an alottment to sell, and whenever they run out of that size, the sale is over. in my area, the 40's go quick, but they are included. It could be different in different areas though.

Good choice. I had forgotten about the 40B. It will serve you very well

Got it for $40 and they originally sell them for 115. even though it was a little more than I should have spent, I could not pass that up.

Back
Top Bottom