While on Vacation will this be OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am leaving Thursday for vacation. WOO HOO! :D

Anyway, I will have somebody to feed the fish, and I have the lights on a timer. My problem is that I dont trust the knowledge of this person to do water top off's. So my question is this.

Will mt 75g be ok without the skimmer NOT running for 9 days? I dont have a sump, and I have 105pds lr. The water should not get low enough to hurt anything. So what do you think??? :wink:

Another vacation...lucky guy!! :wink:
Should be OK, we were gone for 2 weeks and I gave the kid watching my tank a full inservice on the skimmer. May get other opinions though. I believe your bioload is light and you have a lot of rock. Also I assume you water chems are good.
Just premeasure food for this person .
Most of all have a great time!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Some people don't skim at all. So you will obviously be fine going 9 days with out a water change. Have fun, and try not to worry about the tank :wink:

Just make sure when you get back not to add 5-10 gallons of freshwater all at once to get the level back up, do it over the course of a few days.

As for top offs. I made two marks on my sump, one high and one low. I told him add water to the top line when the level approaches the bottom one.
Maybe you can mark your tank with a couple strips of tape and do the same thing.

You guys are good!! And Quick! :wink:

Hey Qshark, the trip to Texas, was sort of Buisness/Pleasure, if you know what I mean. I get accused alot of taking alot of vacations. Thats Ok, I love to take trips. :wink:

My bio-load is def. low. I only have 1 Perc, 1 Tomato, and Yellow Tail Damsel. I lost the Yellow, Idol, and a Perc, right before and during qt for ich. I wont make that mistake anymore. I knew that I was taken a few trips this summer so I waiting till I get back to start adding some more little buddies. I really have decided to do a min. amount of fish, because I want to have a huge coral tank.

All my water par. are great. My shroom, finally started to grow, and have since budded two new shrooms. :D I also have tons of baby snails running around the place, so I guess the tank is fine. :wink:

Thanks for all the help all. And six-line I'll try not to think about the tank, but it's going to be hard that close to the ocean. Thanks. :wink:

I think I have decided to go no skimmer, just to ease my mind. I would hate to burn it up. :)

Well I have removed the skimmer, which was full of little sponge. I placed it in mty qt tank, so they would live. I am leaving today, so I want be on, unless the hotel has internet access. You all have a blessed weekend, and next weak.

By the way I'll def. try to log on next friday, it's my birthday, and I cant wait to see what you all got me. :D

So what do you think???

I just got back from vaca and she did water top-offs for me no problem. Just had the buffered RO water right there and a scooper (gallon jug with top cut off). Told her to keep the tank full. Why not prepare the water and have him/her fill it once a day? It would have to be better than salinity rising every day, IMO. As for the skimmer thats a tough call, I left mine on all week no problems.

I think it would be better for you to have your tank-sitter drop in a gal. of R/O water every 2 or 3 days. Help maintain a consistant SG. My 6 year old niece was in charge of that when we were gone (under the eye of her Dad). If she can do it, almost anyone else can. I just put a Rubbermaid of water by the tank with a small bucket to fill with.

Well Hi ALL!! I am back from a great week of vacation from Treasure Island Fl.

I had a great time, but I missed all of you and AA! I brought back 2 corals and some shrimp with me.....from the lfs.

I will tell you all about it later, after I get settled in.

Good to be back!! :wink:

Welcome home! it is always nice to go on vacation, but it also nice to come home.

Back
Top Bottom