White Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EELectric

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! For about the past 2-3 months I have had a white algae take over most of my liferock. When I asked my fish retailer what it was, they suggested that my snowflake eel was kicking up sand (which he always does) and causing some sort of algae to grow there. If this is true I am already planning to get rid of my eel for other reasons, but will the algae stay there or go once the eel has left the tank. Thank You for any advice you can give. Also, if not what should I do? Thanks :D

I believe that the white you are seeing is your lr bleaching. Your corraline on your rock is not getting enough calcium. Check your calcium and it should be around 400-420. Let me know what you get.

Anyway you can post a picture? Things that come to mind are silt, sponge, bacteria or algae. Removing the eel will help some in keeping the rock clean if he's making such a mess but only correcting water conditions (lowering phosphate levels) will help algae issues rather the eel is there or now.

Back
Top Bottom