white blotches on live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvanderborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have been into saltwater for about a year now. I have a 25 Gallon tank with about fifteen lbs of live rock and I recently went reef. And quickly I might add (two months from fowlr) I now have four rose anenomes a condy a leather coral star polyp and zooanthid colony but I've noticed small white splotches almost the size of a small pea showing up on my live rock. Mostly in darker areas of the tank. I was told its bleached coraline but I'm afraid its beginning aiptaisia outbreak..... any thoughts guys... I'm new to this forum as well.

All the pics I can get of it are kinda hard to see for others because they don't know where too look.... I got some other thing in there that I have no idea what it is... ll post those pics now..

Also sharpie... I did cichlids for a decade and the best way to set up a tank is using a mix of lace rock an coral. Gets the ph high enough and cichlids thrive in high ph 8.0-8.3.. also if u wanna try breeding get peices of flat slate or clay pots. I bred electric blue jack dempseys and yellow labs successfully for years with this strategy.

Cool! - Will do some investigating on the cichlids!
I had a look at your photos, and you are right - it's hard to distinguish.

On this photo: it looks like the white dots are little snails. I can't see any aptasia on your rocks. Aptasia are evil!

Living in Australia, I get all different types of hitchhikers. Someone who has been around longer may need to ID this.

If it were me, I'd wait a little to see if anyone ID's on this thread. At the moment it doesn't look dangerous IMO. If you do start to get more concerned, take a piece of your rock into your LFS and see if they can ID. (Bring it in a bucket of saltwater with an airstone).

Here are some links to help you ID:

Hitch Hiker FAQ
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Reef

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I work at my local fish store lol but thanks for the advice. Its definately not snails. They are almost a transparent hue like a smoky glass color.

Is it circular inside the circle or a single solid dot? Might be a type of worm casing which is ok.

No they are like a circle with a circle inside of them. Some even have what look like small ovals on them. The only things I have in there are snails and a six line wrasse. But I've noticed its not sprouting near any hair algae or my inverts for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom