White Cloudy Water with strang odor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdthrows

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think I am having some kind of Algae bloom. Last night before going to bed my tank was perfectly clear and this morning when I got up the water was white and cloudy. There is also a strange smell that can be smelled even in the next room that is coming from my tank. My water perameters are all good. A few days ago I set up timers for my lights and before that I wasnt running them very much at all. I have 4 96 watt PC bulbs on a 75 gallon tank. I am in the process of buying a protein skimmer so I know that will help. What should I do in the mean time to clear this water up? Also I have 2 clowns and a few invertes, are they in danger from this? Thanks for the input!

-TD

A few good size PWC would help. My only problem on your diagnosis is that an algea bloom dont happen overnite. Is this smell like a rotten egg?

No it doesnt smell like a rotten egg. Its more of a strong salty smell. I cant really think how to discribe it. It almost smells similar to chlorine but I know nobody came into my house and poured chlorine in my tank.

You may want to try to add some activated carbon if it is not present, or add some more if you already have it in the filter. This may or may not work, but I have had some success with similiar white cloudy problems. By the way, what are you water parameters?

I think with the PWC and GAC that Squado recommended I think that will help alot.

Ok here is the update:
1) I tested my salinity with a hydrometer and it is at 1.023
2)Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 0
3)Strange odor but not un-pleasent, it smells natural like something that would possibly come out of a tank but my roommate seems to be having an allergies attack from it
4)Water looks milky. Very similar to the way a tank looks after adding new sand for the first time. Checked all powerheads and they are in place.
5)I use no chemicals in my tank. I also use RO water. Nothing has been added to the tank for a week except top-off RO water.
6)I do not have a protein skimmer or a UV sterilizer though a protein skimmer is about to be ordered today
7)The night before the water turned milky I ran my lights extra long, but it was only my blue actinics (2 96's) for about 5 hours longer that usual. 5 days ago I set my lights on a timer so the tank is getting more light than it has in the past.
8) The tank is a few months old. It is a 75 gallon with 4 96 watt PC's. I use a filter sock as filtration. I have around 60 pounds of live rock. There arer 2 clowns, one cleaner shrimp, a tiger conk, and clean up crew in it.

Ok if there is additional info that will help let me know and I will post it also. This is driving me crazy!

-TD

A skimmer would definitely help. I couldn't rid an algae bloom in my tank after doing weekly 20% WC's for 4 or 5 weeks, added lots of AC (AC did helped alittle), or even blacking out the tank for a few days; so i bought a skimmer and bye bye algae :)

So does everyone think this is an algae bloom? I thought algae blooms were more green than white and had a foul smell? Also does an algae bloom hurt the tank inhabitants? And wouldnt I pick up something when testing my parameters?

-TD

Considering you just started adding more light might be a good indication that it is an algae bloom. I am kind of curious, why did you up the lighting period? I am not sure about the smell. I have one heck of an algae bloom, cyano, I am fighting (and winning) right now, and there are no extra smells.
How do you premix your water? Do you have cuty or well water?
If city water, (some one help me here, since I'm on well water), is there a test that you could run on your tap water?

I thought algae blooms were more green than white and had a foul smell?

My algae bloom started out with a whitish/milky color. That's y i didn't do anything to the water, thinking that it was just a sandstorm. The color gradually changed to greenish after a few days

EDITED:
I have one heck of an algae bloom, cyano, I am fighting (and winning) right now, and there are no extra smells.

Roka, just an FYI ;), cyano isn't considered an algae bloom. An algae bloom is when tons algae grow "in" the water, which give the water a greenish tint. here's how the water should look like:

Attachments

• picture_167_996.jpg
    picture_167_996.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 87
I did a 20% water change last night and it has helped some. I use only RO water in this tank. The water still looks milky white but it has cleared up slighlty. All fish/inverts look completly normal.

FishFrik- How did you take care of this problem?

The one thing that is still really got me confused is the smell and the reaction that some people that live with me or around me are having. My friend that lives across the hall says he is now really congested with allergies after being in my room awhile last night. We joke that I have "red tide" in my tank.

-TD

That person might be allergic to mold. How long have you had your tank? What kind of decorations/lighting do you have. Are you sure the smell is coming from the tank?

PS. If you update your "my info" with your tank specs/equip/critters, that would help us out.

An algae bloom is when tons algae grow "in" the water
Got it, but I would tend to think anything in the tank would be in the water and a massive growth of algae would be a bloom.....Maybe I should have said, "cyano outbreak", thanks for the FYI.

My first post on this thread said what i did. Basically, i just got a better skimmer and it skimmed all the algae out :) IMO, u should try completely blacking out ur tank for 3 - 4 days. That helped me abit before i got my skimmer

Well I came home from work today and my tank is about 75% clear all the sudden! This has been such a weird thing I still have no idea what it really was! I am ordering a protein skimmer tonight to help prevent something like this again. I appreciate everyones help!

-TD

Back
Top Bottom