white dot invasion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm having a problem with white dots invading my aquarium. They are attached to the glass, the UV sterilizer and in the canister filter. I have to use a metal spatula to remove them. They're the size of a pin head and sometimes the dots form in a snake form. Any thoughts?

pics would help and more details about this particular setwould also be helpful, but my first question would be do you have any nerite snails in the tank? as it sounds like a pretty good description of their egglaying habits

manbeast. I have one snail, good size, don't know what kind. It's a 50 gal fowlr. I'm thinking of converting to a reef. Not entirely. Probably start out really slow. The tank has been up and working for a good three years and now, these white dots. I thought perhaps some kind of calcium build up. The dots are hard like rocks. Thanks for your input. If you think of any other possibilities, let me know.

I think you may be seeing baby feather dusters with their hard calcium coiled tube. I get them in my skimmer and back glass usually in the corners and around equipment. I get them in my skimmer too.

Might not be what it is but thats my guess.

I think I agrees with schism. I have the same things on the back of the tank. Little white coils. Either worms or mini feather dusters.

Patrick93, Leighton79, Carried, CrystalA and Schism: Thanks for responding so quickly. I just finished doing a 30% water change. The water was the dirtiest I've ever seen it and I had done a water change 5 days ago. I usually do a WC every 7 to 10 days depending. Inside the canister filter and the filter sponges had these little pink worms. I'll have to check with my LFS and find out how to stop the worms from taking over my tank. I guess that explains the white dots, huh? I hope Patrick93 is right and they're harmless.

Last edited:
mellowyellow said:
Patrick93, Leighton79, Carried, CrystalA and Schism: Thanks for responding so quickly. I just finished doing a 30% water change. The water was the dirtiest I've ever seen it and I had done a water change 5 days ago. I usually do a WC every 7 to 10 days depending. Inside the canister filter and the filter sponges had these little pink worms. I'll have to check with my LFS and find out how to stop the worms from taking over my tank. I guess that explains the white dots, huh? I hope Patrick93 is right and they're harmless.

I had tons of them in my first tank but they disappeared after awhile I don't know if that will happen with yours but u can always scrape them off with a razor blade and let them fall into the sand

Spirorbid worms yep thats the name i was trying to think of. They are harmless but can foul up equipment if not cleaned every 3-6 months or so. Ive found no way of reducing them, however i would take it as a good sign that your tank is doing fairly well. Beneficial creature that do their little part in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom