Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

So could this be from vodka? I mean, could the skimmer be screwed up from the vodka?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

And will it get better if I continue to dose? Or do I have to stop because my nitrates are high.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stop dosing for the time being would be my advise and yes vodka cause bacteria blooms and the bacteria bloom could be screwing with your skimmer foaming.

Do a water change to reduce your nitrates for the time being instead of vodka. It is very important to be doing water changes while dosing vodka to begin with so that may be where your problems are coming from. Overdosing becomes way easier when your not doing your waterchanges.

Just my advice.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do weekly 35% changes. Even with vodka. Would you recommend getting an ATS, and keeping the skimmer I have, or keep dosing after I get a new skimmer?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Omg, skimmers foam already increased! I didn't dose this morning so my guess is that's why. I'm leaning toward same skimmer with ATS as its a lot simpler, and does the same thing. I'm making water at the moment fr a Chang also.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bingo. Let the tank calm down a bit before continuing dosing. If your doing 35% weekly water changes and you still have a nitrate problem then you are either overstocked or doing something fundamentally wrong. The organics are either not being removed (that includes siphoning the sand bed) or there are simply to many organics (overstocked). Something in your tank is becoming a nutrient sink and in betting on your sand bed since thats the most common.

If you do a 50% waterchange it will cut your nitrates in half. From say 80 to 40 ppm and so on.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

They were fine before. What I think happened is that my Rodi unit needs to be replaced. It was AWESOME before. NO ALGAE AT ALL. Now I have hair, I got rid of cyano with vodka. Would you recommend I substitute vodka with an ATS? I really can't spend a lot of money!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
They were fine before. What I think happened is that my Rodi unit needs to be replaced. It was AWESOME before. NO ALGAE AT ALL. Now I have hair, I got rid of cyano with vodka. Would you recommend I substitute vodka with an ATS? I really can't spend a lot of money!
That is because as they build up they become a problem. They dont become a problem until your water changes cant keep up will them anymore and they accumulate slowing from decaying material inside the tank.

Test your ro/di water with a TDS meter. They only cost 20 bucks. If you have 0 TDS water then your water is not the problem. Easy way to find out. You wanna figure out the problem lets figure it out. I got time. Nitrates have a source, get to the source and you fix the problem.

I had a previous tank before i moved that developed a nitrate problem. Found the cause and fixed it. Nitrate problem gone. Its really that simple. With the addition of time of course.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it possible to just test the new water with a normal API nitrate test?????
Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

And about the bio pellets, where would I put them? And do they really help?

Tags
film, surface, white film

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com