Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

White Ich or not- Mr X? Carey? any mods help?

hey all,

I have a dilemma. I kinda know what white ich looks like but a just recently purchased a flame angel. Hes eating fine swims fine and not scratching, ive had him for about a week or so but ive noticed these white spots on him, been watching him closely and they haven't spread nor has any other fish got signs of this.

The spot don't look attached to the flame angel as such, the spots look like they've been just caught onto his back fin. but these spots look like the same coloration as white ich and same size.

The big question is... does white ich generally attach itself to the fish and never let go or does white ich sometimes semi attach itself to the fish and could potentially fall off without treatment.

The reason im asking, ive got the flame angel in QT and im holding a bottle of copper treatment wondering if I should do it or not.

Thanks guys.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

unfortunately I cant post a photo to show because im at work for the next several hours at the moment

Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is there sand in the qt? I have a coral beauty that roots around and gets sand stuck on her all the time, looks exactly like ick till she swims it off...
Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

originally I kinda risked it and put the flame angel straight into the DP.... then noticed the spots and put it straight into QT.... I did a bit of the opposite when introducing fish to the tank lol

I was thinking it could be sand from when he sleeps under the LR although the spots look whiter than the sand
Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

If she's in the qt I'd just keep an eye on her, if she's not breathing rapidly and eating well it may be nothing to worry about. I see spots and other things on my fish because I love them and I'm so paranoid that any little thing looks like a horrible disease, then it goes away... Hope she ends up ok!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmmm yea I guess ill just keep watching it.... its been like that for the last 3-4 days....

although there is another symptom ive noticed .... there are a couple of little areas where scales are missing as well.

I've never seen him scratch so I don't know if hes been scratching when I haven't seen it or another fish has been teaching him whos boss.

white spot... missing scales.... no other symptoms. if I was to copper treat him do you think it would cause any big harm?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Maybe you could put a photo up before u medicate to get a better diagnosis. I'm no fish doctor, so I wouldn't advise you either way. Perhaps mr x knows, he seems to be the most experienced advisor here.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

with white ich is it physically attached the skin/fins of the fish? just wondering that when I get home.... if I take out the flame angel and try to gently swipe off those white spots with my fingers and they come off, would that mean its not ich?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think you might do more harm than good.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why don't you treat the fish with a hypo-salinity treatment if your worried? Less harsh than copper and just as effective. However, if you already put the fish in the DT you probably contaminated your DT with ich. What size tank do you have? I tend to believe in allowing the fish's immune system to fight these thing naturally but this gets tough when stressed in a small tank or poor water conditions. Just because your other fish don't show signs doesn't mean they don't carry ich

Tags
ich, white, care

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com