White spot help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dannyboy3128

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone anyone got any hints on what I'm doing wrong I have got white spot again had it twice in two months I have been feeding them shrimp with garlic and flake good that is meant to help I'm treating the fish again I have a uv on with new bulb also I do a 15 % water change every week any ideas also I was told to drop my salt level to 1017 then bring back up once treated

Hi everyone anyone got any hints on what I'm doing wrong I have got white spot again had it twice in two months I have been feeding them shrimp with garlic and flake good that is meant to help I'm treating the fish again I have a uv on with new bulb also I do a 15 % water change every week any ideas also I was told to drop my salt level to 1017 then bring back up once treated

The only cure for Ich is copper or Hyposalinity (1.009-1.010) treatment in a QT and at the same time, leave the display tank fallow for 6-8 weeks. Anything short of that will not work.

Garlic stimulates appetite and is not a cure. UV only kills what goes through it , so whatever is on the fish, rock or sand is untouched. UV also needs proper flow or it is ineffective .

The only cure for Ich is copper or Hyposalinity (1.009-1.010) treatment in a QT and at the same time, leave the display tank fallow for 6-8 weeks. Anything short of that will not work. Garlic stimulates appetite and is not a cure. UV only kills what goes through it , so whatever is on the fish, rock or sand is untouched. UV also needs proper flow or it is ineffective .
ok thanks was told fresh water dip may work but that winery's the hell outta me

Dips help in bad cases. It kind of alleviates some of the problem, but it will not get it all. If you have Ich on a fish, it is in the tank too. It's a two pronged attack. You have to cure the fish and the tank. There are articles online, so it is good to read up on it and understand the enemy. Look in the Sick Fish section here and there will usually be links to a few good articles.

Dips help in bad cases. It kind of alleviates some of the problem, but it will not get it all. If you have Ich on a fish, it is in the tank too. It's a two pronged attack. You have to cure the fish and the tank. There are articles online, so it is good to read up on it and understand the enemy. Look in the Sick Fish section here and there will usually be links to a few good articles.
so if it's in the tank QT won't solve the problem I take it

QT helps the fish part of the equation, but if you cure the fish and the parasite is still alive in the tank, you throw a healthy fish back into a tank where it can become infected again. It can survive 6-8 weeks without a host (fish) and sometimes a fish can have it, but it is not visible, so ideally you treat all fish in QT.

QT helps the fish part of the equation, but if you cure the fish and the parasite is still alive in the tank, you throw a healthy fish back into a tank where it can become infected again. It can survive 6-8 weeks without a host (fish) and sometimes a fish can have it, but it is not visible, so ideally you treat all fish in QT.
ok thanks basically they sound like a fish tank flea thanks for ur advice

That's kinda, sorta what they are. Treat your dog/ cat , but if they are still in the carpet , the dog/ cat will get it again. Big difference is that Ich can kill fish and fleas are not as deadly to a pet. :)

It would also be worth working out why your fish get ich in the first place - stress maybe? That's a common cause. What's your livestock and how big a tank?

Dips are good for extreme cases of Ich. It makes most spots fall of in a matter of minutes but it doesn't kill all of them. You need to do hypo or copper. Read up on what you are more comfortable with. I personally do hypo and have always had good luck.

Back
Top Bottom