White spots on coralline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Install4Vz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30g tank with about 20lbs live rock and i have been noticing there are tiny white specks on the coralline algae, mostly on one rock.:?: The coralline algae on the other rocks have white around the edges and some of it has a thin almost transparent layer on them. I have read that the white around the edges is new growth, is this true? What about the thin tranparent layer on top? Should i be worried about this?
I drip a gallon of kalk for refill every two weeks, with 25% water changes in between.
Sorry no pic. I need a dig. camera!
Any help would be appreciated!

I've had white spots and white edges on coralline as well. IMO in some instances the white spots and edges indicate the coralline is growing and coralline spores are attaching and growing. Although, if you've made a change in lighting or the LR is new to your system coralline will also respond by losing some of its color. Generally, coralline is more darkly colored in shaded areas of the tank or the undersides of rock.

What you are experiencing is "die-off" As the growth dies on the rock, it basically rots and what you see "the white film" over the rock is just that, rot. It will go away on its own. If this were a tank with no livestock in it, I wouldn’t worry. But. And there is always a but. If you do have fish in there this white film will drive your ammonia up, allot. If you want, just take the rock out and see if it smells, don’t worry you will smell it if its die off!

I took a sniff of the rock and it does have a slight fishy scent. I will recheck my levels and make any adjustments needed. Thanks for the info!

took a sniff of the rock and it does have a slight fishy scent.
It's more of a rotton egg smell. How long has the tank been running for and how long have the rock been in it? You do a lot of water changes so you should be on top of any spike in amonia nitrite nitrate spike. What else is in the tank?

30g saltwater with 1- flame angel 1- 4 stripe damsel 1- false percula 1- scarlet cleaner shrimp 1- flame scallop 1-yellow finger gorgonian 20lbs live rock. it has been up for only two months and the rock has been there since day 2. all my levels look good and i see new coralline growth on all the rocks and my power head.

?

Hi,

I had the same problem in two of my tank a while ago. I believe that those tiny white spots spreading all over are small barnacles growth. Check out the glass area if you see white spots then they are small barnacles growing all over the place. I started scrubbing it away from my glass, but I didn't take them off my rocks. My intake tube has a few of them on it. They stopped growing and everything is fine.

Good Luck!

Re: ?

Thelionfishman said:
I believe that those tiny white spots spreading all over are small barnacles growth. Check out the glass area if you see white spots then they are small barnacles growing all over the place.
I do not think that they would be barnacles. More likely what you are describing are sprorbid worms...

spirorb.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Thats what i was thinking to steve-s i have those all over the place in my tank they must breed every night or something LOL

Back
Top Bottom