Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

White string jelly slime everywhere.

In my 20g, I got a badluck, a kind of white string slime jelly bacterial thing growed everywhere, going to the water colums and clogging all my equipement...

Powerheads, Fluval filter, the filtration pad is a big block of slime thing, my HOB protein skimmer output jammed, so the water level raised and flooded on the floor, lost 3 gallons on the wood floor.

This is the second time this happens to me... This is non predictable when this appear. I go to sleep, the lights shut down everything is perfect, and when I wake up 8 hours after, BANG, water everywhere on the floor, and the tank full of this thing, big cleaning required !

I don't use air freshners or air parfume in my appartement...

The only thing I can suspect is maybe my massive peroxide dosing monday last week. (15ml/20gals to kill GHA). Also my magnesium is at 1750ppm.

The first time this happened, I think I dosed peroxyde the week before, same dose, for same reason, but the Mg was stable at 1100ppm.

Here's the params:
Temp: 26C
PH 8.1
Alk: 8.4dKH
Ca 450ppm
Mg 1750ppm (I don't suspect the Mg)
NO3: 0
PO4: 0

Running 3x240 GPH pumps + my powerfull Fluval C4 filter, so I don't really suspect that's a cyanobacteria...

The sand bed is clean, my GHA are reducing slowly, all livestock seems happy, corals included, I only dose a very tiny little of NOPOX daily to help with GHA (<0.5ml), running GFO and Carbon...

Also this algae/slime thing don't grow on objects, it can of grow in the water, I don't know how the process work...

Any ideas on what this is and how to prevent this ?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pictures??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Impossible, the bloom has already gone... No more slime avaiable to take pictures....

It last 24 hours.... then it goes away by cleaning my filter pad each hours... or it clugs..
Old 02-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I took a picture... This wasn't that color last week, and not so much solid, but this is very jelly thing when I touch it now.

This is the only wich remains in my tank, all in the protein skimmer bubble splitting holes...

No more signs of invasions... I stopped NOPOX dosing. I think it's more a bacterial thing, as I did a mistake by spot dosing 20ml of 3% H2O2 (Peroxide) on my GHAs, and keeped dosing NOPOX in same time...

My theory is I did a mistake by dosing peroxide along with daily NOPOX, wich could have created uneated NOPOX, so making an overdose... Once the bacterias is back when the H2O2 is gone, this probably happened.

The last thing I'm not sure is... What's this crap?

This look like dead freshwater vallisneria plants leaves. (For sure it's not hehe)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3003.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	265353

TOTAL ULTRA MASSIVE INVASION TIME: 24-36hrs.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You have to be careful with peroxide. It doesn't discriminate when it kills. I've started using it against algae and it can easily nuke corals as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slime, white

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com