whitecheek tang aggressive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I've had my WC tang for about a month, now. He's beautiful and docile, and I love him. Well, yesterday I added my last fish to the main....a sixline wrasse....and my WC went nuts!

It was truly something to behold....he chased him around very, very fast.....his coloration was incredible and I couldn't believe my eyes....his front half was deep, bright purple and his entire back half turned bright yellow.

He was obviously ticked!

The good news is that it lasted off and on for a couple of hours, but now both inhabitants are doing well and have settled down.

All I could think is that I sure am glad the sixline is a fast swimmer and had some places to hide or he'd probably be a goner.

I never ever thought my WC could be that aggressive and it was a shock for me. Anyone ever heard of this?

That is surprising. Generally, White Cheek Tangs are peaceful, but the new Wrasse must have upset him. Maybe he was teased by one in the wild and had a horrible flashback? lol
Glad to hear things are settling down though.

Mike

i have a WC tang and in general he is pretty docile he pretty much does his own thing and could care less about any of the other fish i have in there or that i add the only fish i have seen him get pissed at is my heni butterfly fish but they both go nuts and swim after each other for about 1-2 min and his colors change similar to what you said and then it is over and they both go back to being friends or at least normal. i think it is pretty amazing that they can change there colors like that so fast and that i have had the heni and the tang from day one and the heni is bigger then the tang and the tang still chases him rare occasions.

Back
Top Bottom