Whitest sand I've ever had...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm blown away. I added a tiny sand sifting goby to my tank and he literally cleans the entire sand bed daily. He never stops working and my sand looks AMAZING! Why has it taken me 6 years to discover the wonders of the goby???

Last edited by a moderator:
a little orange spot goby, maybe 1.5 inches long. Just a little guy. Cool to watch too, he makes little caves in the sand to sleep in then fills them up and makes another somewhere else. Very cool little fish!

That's cool, I'm always looking to add a goby to my tank. I haven't found the right one for me yet, I'm gonna research this one. They are so fun to watch!

Shep

My gold headed goby is the same way, he sifts sand ALL day and it has never looked better. lol they are hard working little guys, lol, I love watching mine.

Do you guys have a problem with sand in the water column though? My only concern is that sand will get all over my corals and what not.

Shep

Do you guys have a problem with sand in the water column though? My only concern is that sand will get all over my corals and what not.

Shep

This can happen even without sand sifters. They shouldn't be so violently plucking in the sand for this to occur unless they are building a pile of sand in the middle of a powerhead's flow.

I was always under the impression that gobis destroy the sand bed by eating all the good critters that help keep the sand bed healthy.

My sifters only work like the top half inch of sand so no worries there. i do have a goby, called the evil goby, cause he constantly dumped sand on my corals until they would just die. I now have my corals higher up to avoid that problem.

When I first put him in I had a day of slightly cloudy water because he was stirring things up but now the fine particles are in a filter sock and it's clear as can be. He did spit a mouthful on some zoa's but I blew the sand off with a baster.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My goby caused chaos for the first 48 hours, there was sand everywhere and he piled up loads outside his burrow! My sand is spotless now and it looks very natural as a fish created the landscape, not me!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom