Who ate my CORAL?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafecci

Aquarium Advice Activist
I added a xanya coral (I believe picture below) into my tank. Fraged from a friend. It was rubberbanded lightly to a rock in the morning...I slept, went to work and the next morning got home and IT WAS GONE! All that was left was just the stock under the rubber band. No evidence anywhere in the tank????? I can only assume something ate it? When I first put it there the Dottyback was a bit curious about it. But he tends to be very curious about anything that goes into the tank (including my hands!)

Here is my list:
1 - Neon Dottyback
1 - Pajama Carninalfish
2 - Ocellaris Clownfish (orange/black)

Attachments

• 100_3219.jpg
    100_3219.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 80
Xenia or Kenya? Seemed like you have crossed the two different coral names :) Either way, have you checked the sandbed around the rock structures? Both types of coral tend to shrivel and slime quite easily so it could have just slipped loose and taken by the current. Any crabs in the system? Hermits are also attracted to the slime given off from newly introduced corals and could have jarred it loose. None of the fish you have are listed as corralivores.

(lol....Kenya...thats what she called it....LOL) No crabs or Hermits in the tank - I thought and dug around looking for it, but couldnt find it. Plus there was like a small stalk piece under the rubberband still? maybe it was slim under the rubberband? and I missed it somewhere....guess I better search again?????

My guess would be that it got out from under the rubber band. soft corals will usually be cut by a rubber band where the pressure will cause the tissues to split on either side of it. If you get some mesh or bridal Vail kinda material and loosely cover it with that and then rubber band the material to the rock it works a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom