Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It looks like your coralline explosion is coming from your Purple Up. PWC`s will add those supplements to your tank. I have My shrooms grow like crazy with no additives except Coralvite. I`m just not a supplement person. I`ve made a little bit over 300 dollars by selling mushrooms to my LFS that have grown in the tank in the last year.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I do lots of PWC's - weekly - but can't keep Ca up to over 300. I've tried a couple different locally-available mixes, but nothing gets Ca up high enough. pH, buffering, everything else is fine, so I never have to add any buffer.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #13

What kind of salt are you using. You keep SPS?

You know it is really funny but my tank is only 3 months old and I have a bunch of circular coraline growths all over my PH, and glass.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Have you tried Oceanic Salt. I used to use IO but since I went to Oceanic my calcium stays around 450. I also do weekly 10% PWC`s.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 10-21-2006, 08:18 PM   #15

I also stay around 400 with weekly PWC's and I use Reef Crystals, made by IO.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Nothing wrong with that

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 10-21-2006, 09:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been mostly using Instant Ocean "Sea Salt", not Reef Crystals - nobody has RC locally, and shipping is murder. Might have to find a deal somewhere. Without daily dosing, I hit just under 300ppm CA, and that's a strong mix, to 1.025 (which should result in higher than 1.021-1.022 mixtures).

BTW - I didn't mean to threadjack. If I can switch salts and eliminate some dosing, I'd be happy, so hopefully this is "on-topic."

Update - actually, Reef Crystals, with shipping from Drs Foster and Smith, is still about half what I pay locally for Instant Ocean's general Sea Salt mix. Going to be placing an order when I get close to running out of this bucket of salt.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:59 AM   #18

There are other good salts around. Many people still use IO and are fine. But, many people also go dose crazy.

There have been studies done trying to compare all the major salt brand and the results are not to reliable. Many salts will work fine with a good PWC schedule. Try what you do have available and see what works.

The only place around me that has RC is like $70 for 200 gal. mix. and I get it for half that online. Dr. Fosters does not charge that much to MA for that heavy bucket as suprising as it is to me. Have you tried them?

I prefer to buy the 200gal because it lasts longer and is much better than trying to buy salt all the time. Check it out:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...?N=2004+113009
Old 10-22-2006, 02:09 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
IO is notorious for having sporadic batches with low calcium levels. My bucket tests 400 ppm even. Fluff's bucket is below 400. And I believe Hara was having a problem with it too. Check out this link for pics Hara took at MACNA. Eric Borneman and a MARSH member did a comprehensive study on salts. It was VERY interesting. You will have to follow the slides in order to get all of the info from it. Pretty neat stuff.

http://www.fantasyreef.com/macna/macna10.php

Highlight a few points. I believe Oceanic tested out the best, but I could be wrong. IO had consistent cyano problems the entire test.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:16 AM   #20

salt

Good Stuff Devilshirts!

I really don't like IO for a reef but it is good for FOWLR.

I have had really good sucess with Reef Crystals. Even though it is the same company it has more elements although I have not actually looked at it all and it is available.

All I know is that my reef is 3 months old, my corals are growing rapidly, and I have dark circle coraline spots all over my glass so I am happy. I am a PWC freak though. I do 2 small ones per week and I have a 30 gal. Hey you know what they say, if it aint broken, I aint fixin it!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com