Who doses their tank...Kalk, CA, MAG...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting read, Devilishturtles.

I have similar issues with Cyano (99% of its in the fuge though). Black, green, red, all varieties.

I'll be switching to RC as soon as my current bucket of IO is used up - hopefully that will improve some things!

Do you use a HOB fuge? Just wondering because I was doing some reading on mine and found that many people get cyano in them.

I do weekly PWC and do not dose at all. I direct feed the corals and put in essential elements with the water change. My corals look great and I get store credit for trading in my chaeto. No big cyano problem as of yet either. Like you said though, I think at least weekly PWC's are the key.

No - 20g fuge under the main. The IO salt just isn't bringing up Ca or Alk levels at all, and pH tends to be low in the prepared water - around 8.0pH.

Re: salt

Mike469 said:
I am a PWC freak though. I do 2 small ones per week and I have a 30 gal. Hey you know what they say, if it aint broken, I aint fixin it!

(y) (y)

I am a PWC freak though. I do 2 small ones per week and I have a 30 gal. Hey you know what they say, if it aint broken, I aint fixin it!

But, if the salt mix you're using isn't providing enough of various trace elements, PWC won't do as good as dosing. My Ca drops significantly every time I do a PWC.

Right?

Right Scoot. If you are having issues with Ca, like with IO salt, I would either dose something or get new salt. I also am going to switch salts after my bucket of IO is used up.

My thinking is that if you can knock out all dosing with just PWC`s Why not do it. Almost all salts provide for trace elements just fall short in the calcium and buffering realm.

melosu58 said:
My thinking is that if you can knock out all dosing with just PWC`s Why not do it. Almost all salts provide for trace elements just fall short in the calcium and buffering realm.

My thought exactly. I was reading some article on another site (don't even ask me to remember) about these 3 part additives and buffers and people who were getting so confused by it. Just change the water! But I do agree, especially with IO, that dosing calcium may be neccesary.

Back
Top Bottom