Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2004, 11:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Who has owned an octopus?

I'm talking about the animal here I know they only live 1-2 years and are very tricky to keep in the tank, but has anybody here owned one?

We usually have one or two at work and I never realized how fun they are to watch until today. We had one that was real smart. They are kept in an aquarium inside a smaller plastic reptile container. This guy found out how to open the cage twice. So we put about 5-8 lbs of rock on top and he still opened it! This is from an octopus with a abody smaller than my fist and legs about 6-8 inches long. The first time he escaped he went for a $80 lobster but luckily we quick stopped him. Then he was trying to rip a large hermit crab from it's shell. We then fed him a smaller fish and it was so cool to see him grab eat and chow down. We then put a feeder fish in a small soda bottle and put the cap on to see if he would open it. Unfortunatly I had to go home at this point so I couldn't see what happened. Can't wait to see if he figured it out tomorrow.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:39 PM   #2

We kept them at my school. They were really cool, and fun until they die... They usually would lay eggs then die after they hatched.

The tops were acrylic with drilled holes for air, and we even taught them to open bottles to get the food.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have never owned one but did do a little research on them when I was interested in getting one. they are amazing creatures and would be a fun species only tank. I would be interested to hear stories from people woho have actually kept them.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I researched a couple months back when I first got my job but decided against one because they only live 1-2 years and that's kind of depressing for me to get attached to such a cool animal for that short of a time, but they are so fun to watch
Old 06-22-2004, 11:42 PM   #5

My point exactly, there so cool but when they die it's such a downer. Not worth it IMO.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is their natural life span in the wild? Is it this short or is this another animal we kill by putting them in a tank?
Old 06-22-2004, 11:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

From what I remember that's just their natural life span. I"m not sure if all species have such a short life or just the ones offered to us in the aquarium world?
Old 06-22-2004, 11:58 PM   #8

Yea they are short lived in both the wild and captivity. I think the giant octopus lives much longer. Im not sure though, obviously not aquarium compatible.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have seen them in the wild while scuba diving and man are they beautiful, the way they change colors, move, and blend in. they are very smart and amazing animals
CPR Bak Pak Protein skimmer
Rena 200 watt heater
T-5 Ligihting
(2) 54 watt
(2) 36 watt
Water General RO+DI
(4) Homade Moonlights LED 470nm
87# Live Rock Gulf, Keys, Bali
80# Crushed Coral with Aragonite
(2) Percula Clownfish
(1) 3 Spot Domino Damselfish
(2) Yellowtail Damselfish
(2) Sargent Major Damselfish
(1) Choclate Chip Starfish
(3) Brittle Stars
Lots of Snails and Hermit Crabs (Not Identified)
(5) Crab (Not Identified)
(2) Black Urchin
(10) Dwarf Red tipped Hermit crabs
(7) Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
(9) Mexican Turbo Snails
(3) Peppermint Shrimp
Lots of other stuff (Not Identified)
divemasterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemasterjim
I have seen them in the wild while scuba diving and man are they beautiful, the way they change colors, move, and blend in. they are very smart and amazing animals
Ya, epecially on night dives. Kinda creepy but cool.
7 days till cozumel and counting!! 8)

Tags
octopus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com