Who has owned an octopus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm talking about the animal here :wink: I know they only live 1-2 years and are very tricky to keep in the tank, but has anybody here owned one?

We usually have one or two at work and I never realized how fun they are to watch until today. We had one that was real smart. They are kept in an aquarium inside a smaller plastic reptile container. This guy found out how to open the cage twice. So we put about 5-8 lbs of rock on top and he still opened it! This is from an octopus with a abody smaller than my fist and legs about 6-8 inches long. The first time he escaped he went for a $80 lobster but luckily we quick stopped him. Then he was trying to rip a large hermit crab from it's shell. We then fed him a smaller fish and it was so cool to see him grab eat and chow down. We then put a feeder fish in a small soda bottle and put the cap on to see if he would open it. Unfortunatly I had to go home at this point so I couldn't see what happened. Can't wait to see if he figured it out tomorrow.

We kept them at my school. They were really cool, and fun until they die... They usually would lay eggs then die after they hatched.

The tops were acrylic with drilled holes for air, and we even taught them to open bottles to get the food.

I have never owned one but did do a little research on them when I was interested in getting one. they are amazing creatures and would be a fun species only tank. I would be interested to hear stories from people woho have actually kept them.

I researched a couple months back when I first got my job but decided against one because they only live 1-2 years and that's kind of depressing for me to get attached to such a cool animal for that short of a time, but they are so fun to watch :lol:

My point exactly, there so cool but when they die it's such a downer. Not worth it IMO.

What is their natural life span in the wild? Is it this short or is this another animal we kill by putting them in a tank?

From what I remember that's just their natural life span. I"m not sure if all species have such a short life or just the ones offered to us in the aquarium world?

Yea they are short lived in both the wild and captivity. I think the giant octopus lives much longer. Im not sure though, obviously not aquarium compatible.

I have seen them in the wild while scuba diving and man are they beautiful, the way they change colors, move, and blend in. they are very smart and amazing animals

divemasterjim said:
I have seen them in the wild while scuba diving and man are they beautiful, the way they change colors, move, and blend in. they are very smart and amazing animals

Ya, epecially on night dives. Kinda creepy but cool. :)
7 days till cozumel and counting!! 8)

TONMO is the best place I would start for info. Colin has a great info resource and is usualy quick to help.

Cheers
Steve

Here's one that I found just while walking along the beach a few weeks ago in Tahiti. Cute little guy. Very easy to catch in ankle deep water. He seemed convinced that he could just hide by changing his colour to match the sand and didn't try to get away when I gently picked him up.

He was returned unharmed, of course.

If you gonna catch it yourself make sure its not a blue ring octopus. Its poison kill and there is NOT antidote for blue ring octupus poison.

A spread out fully grown blue ring octopus is about size of a dinner plate.

Careful..... :? :? :?

Thanks Steve, I'll have to check that out.

Yeah, I've heard about the blue rings, it's acutally pretty sad that some pet stores sell these animals 8O

I'm enough of a James Bond fan to recognize a Blue Ring...still I was pretty cautious.

If you are gonna' go...death by Blue Ring octopus is at least unique!

LOL Jamal you have your eye on the one in the fish room at TFP...he does look like he'd be cool to keep. I've read that they are awesome escape artists, you practically need a totally enclose tank or you come home to find the octopus attached to your dog or cat's head.

Back
Top Bottom