Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Who has used tank/rock after treating with copper?

My g/f wants to make my 44gal tank into a softie tank. I treated it with copper a year or so back before I knew better. The rock was just base rock but I am going to add it to another tank w/ live rock to seed it. I've also heard the copper gets into the seals of the tank... but I can't imagine the copper would leach out and harm anything even if it's true.

Anybody use rock or a tank that was treated with copper without any problems?

Old 12-01-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used it on my 46, no rock. I have inverts & such growing in the tank now with no problems. I did ditch the sand. After treatment I washed the tank real well, and filled it back up with SW and waited a week and tested for copper before placing anything back in the tank. Copper can get into the sand and rock. I'm not sure but the rock may be messed up now. Someone with more exp. will have to answer that one.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had the same issue, but I did not have any rock. Like 2cents, I threw out my substrate, as this is the main concern for unwanted copper after treatments. I soaked my tank a day in a bleach/water mixture, then soaked it in tap water with a dechlorinator and the allowed it to air dry for 2-3 days. Did copper test and none was testable. I do not think it was the bleach that got rid of the copper, so that suggests that none or miniscule amounts of copper were in the seals.

For the rock, I would put it through the curing process again in a bucket or two and test it with a good copper kit. If so ditch the rock too. I'm no expert, but I'd imagine that the copper could find it's way into the deep cracks of the rock and you'll have to start with new LR. Rock and substrate have very similar properties. Sand in the ocean is just weathered down rock through ages and ages of colliding and grinding due to tides and waves. So my guess is, if you gotta ditch the substrate, adios to the rock as well!
Old 12-01-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Even if the tank shows negative on a copper test, it is possible that additional copper will leach out from seals or rocks in low PH conditions. Obviously, you will likely never plan for a low PH problem, but if one were to happen, you would not want copper to leach out on top of the PH problem.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is an idea, if the rock has had copper on it then the "live" part of it is dead. Take the rock out of the tank, lay it on your driveway Or porch, get a pressure washer and wash the hound out of it. (clear water only). Then place it in a bucket of clean SW with a powerhead and let it sit for a few days and test your water. Might be able to use it after that. Worth a shot anyway.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eating, rock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com