Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I have been in saltwater for many years and have not done QT until recently. Years ago, I had a tank with about $1000+ in fish. I wanted to add one last fish, so i got a flame hawk. About a week later, I wake up and it is dead. I think nothing of it, but get home from work and two more fish are dead. Of course, the LFS is closed, so I have to wait until the next day to do anything. To cut a long story short, I ended up losing every fish within three days. It is no fun flushing $1000 down the toilet. I'm still not sure what it was, but I suspect Marine Velvet. Fast forward to present day...had a 75g set up and had just started stocking it... had an Eibli angel, some Chromis and added a bicolor Foxface. A few days later, the Foxface looks bad, the angel looks bad too. They were gone within 24 hours of me noticing them. This was MV. Not as bad a hit on the wallet, but enough is enough. I've got a 45g that I set up that will now be the permanent QT for all the upcoming additions to my new 240g. Also have a 15g hexagon in the bedroom that I may use for QT too. Its just not worth it to me anymore. A few extra bucks and a little extra time watching the new fish just makes perfect sense now.
I have had similar experience, without a wipe out like you had. If the QT isn't up to spec, you're just stressing the new fish more. But there is no other down side to being cautious. I don't QT, but I have a holding tank off the main system that I use for observation and allowing the fish to get use to the water without additional stress. They can also be caught easily if treatment is required. I have always thought I would use a UV sterilizer on the output of this tank to reduce risk of contaminating the main system, but it has worked so far.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

My gameplan is to observe and only treat as needed. I don't see a need to treat for something that might not be present and since no one thing treats everything, there is always a possibility that blindly treating misses something.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do uses not even do hypo for ich
Old 11-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray84 View Post
Do uses not even do hypo for ich
Nope. Stress sets off ick IMO. Less stress, less likelihood of a disease breakout. I try to give them a quiet spot to "decompress" after the long trip and the LFS. Once their strength is regained and they are eating with no sign of disease, into the reef they go.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thing is I've never qt and after nearly 18 months I've got ich so how do you know if your fish is ich free if it don't show up during the qt time.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it doesn't show up after 4 weeks then there shouldn'r be a problem
Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yup, I will just observe for 2-3 weeks and only medicate if necessary. I believe the preventative treatment I was doing definitely was a factor in my QT losses.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't know if worth the risk from my lfs as there fish don't look good as got tangs and other big fish in little tanks
Old 11-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it better to keep a QT up and running all the time, or just start when a couple weeks ahead of a new addition? I know that doesn't work for sick fish, since you won't have time to plan ahead for it.

Also, do you need to quarantine corals, or just dip them?

I have a spare 10 gallon tank/heater/powerheads that I could use if a permanent QT is the recommended route. Is anything needed in a permanent setup besides topoff, since it's going to be empty most of the time?
Old 11-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know alot of people don't but I keep mine running all the time

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com