Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Who here doesn't quarantine?

I'm just curious as to who quarantines and who doesn't and their experiences with that.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post
I'm just curious as to who quarantines and who doesn't and their experiences with that.
I think it really depends, I don't find it necessary for most fish but saltwater fish I would not take the chance there is too much to go wrong.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would but I don't have an empty tank. But I've added a lot of fish to my tanks and never had a problem
Old 11-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i qt all sw fish, but for fw it depends where i get it. i have one store that has never sold me a fish with disease, and other stores that i don't trust at all but have fish that the other doesn't. most of the time i just toss them in qt for two weeks anyway to make sure they are eating properly and look good. if i see any sign of illness, they stay in for treatment. i would never put a fish in my saltwater tank without quarantine first, its way too much to risk imo.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yup, as a newbie to saltwater with a currently thriving DT (abundance of copepods, coralline growth, several inverts) I wouldn't want to risk ruining it. Unfortunately, I lost my first fish purchase in QT from unknown reasons and it sucked but at least I knew my DT was safe. I've since upgraded to a 10G from a 5 for safety measures even though my fish are relatively small. Hopefully QT goes well this time and I'll be able to finally have a fish in my DT in 2-3 weeks.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't quarantine but I've gotten kicked in the crotch by it once, possibly twice... I am waiting to see about the second one. Soon I'll have a second tank up and running just for QT so hopefully it won't be an issue in the future.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I don't quarantine but I've gotten kicked in the crotch by it once, possibly twice... I am waiting to see about the second one. Soon I'll have a second tank up and running just for QT so hopefully it won't be an issue in the future.
Best of luck on that second one! One of the things SW has taught me is patience.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post
Best of luck on that second one! One of the things SW has taught me is patience.
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. If they do have ich again my new tank is going up soon and I'll just do a hypo in that before moving my corals and inverts over.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I never did and ain't had any trouble till not long ago my cardinals ill and now got ich and so has my other fish so lesson learnt the hard way
Old 11-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been in saltwater for many years and have not done QT until recently. Years ago, I had a tank with about $1000+ in fish. I wanted to add one last fish, so i got a flame hawk. About a week later, I wake up and it is dead. I think nothing of it, but get home from work and two more fish are dead. Of course, the LFS is closed, so I have to wait until the next day to do anything. To cut a long story short, I ended up losing every fish within three days. It is no fun flushing $1000 down the toilet. I'm still not sure what it was, but I suspect Marine Velvet. Fast forward to present day...had a 75g set up and had just started stocking it... had an Eibli angel, some Chromis and added a bicolor Foxface. A few days later, the Foxface looks bad, the angel looks bad too. They were gone within 24 hours of me noticing them. This was MV. Not as bad a hit on the wallet, but enough is enough. I've got a 45g that I set up that will now be the permanent QT for all the upcoming additions to my new 240g. Also have a 15g hexagon in the bedroom that I may use for QT too. Its just not worth it to me anymore. A few extra bucks and a little extra time watching the new fish just makes perfect sense now.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com