Who here uses an external overflow box?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I just ordered one from a guy locally that makes them. Looks very well made. He assures me that it won't lose siphon and many local reefers use it with no complaints. Hope it works out. Now I just need a return pump. :D

I also have run several Overflows without any significant problems. I would always suggest an in tank version if possible though.
I've lost siphon on a few occassions

I don't know how others fix the siphon once it gets messed up. But one thing that I have done many times (because my canapy made it a pain to remove the siphon tube) and it works great is simply sliding a piece of airline tube up one side of the siphon till it reaches the highest point in the upside down U and with both ends of the syphon in the proper location simply suck out the air, viola! the siphon is working again :D

Best Wishes

Mark

The guy I bought from sells locally at a LFS. He makes a few types. The one I ordered is around 600 GPH. His yahoo id is: chris4693
You can get in touch with him. Anyone here know of some good plans for a sump/fuge combo. I am using a 20gallon long tank? Any suggestions?

That is how I built my new sump but I used a 29 instead of the 40 gal. It works great I have alot more pods and the macro algae growth is alot better with the new design.

With just basic DIY knowledge you can build your own sump/fuge to fit your needs.

I built my own external overflow box for cheap with 2 specimen boxes a U tube 1' of 1" ID silicone hose a 1"X1" barbed nipple and a 1" bulkhead cost me 25 dollars. might be worth looking into if you ever need another one.

Not really sure why you'd be concerned about it. It takes a little tinkering, but once you get the flow in matched to the flow out, everything is fine. Certainly, an in-tank overflow is the best way to go. Good luck!

KG

Back
Top Bottom