Who uses Chaeto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some Chaeto in my AC300 fuge:

fuge2.jpg

The light is a 15w 6500K daylight bulb angled over the AC300. The Chaeto is growing and I have already pruned it once after a few days. Now, the top of the Chaeto is turning slighty brown where the growth it happening. I measured it last night and again tonight and it is indeed still growing. Is this normal? Any tips to help my Chaeto along? When I got it, the entire ammount of macro was nice and green.

I've got some.... interested to hear if everyone else leaves their lights on 24/7

I just got some a week ago and was running 24 hrs. I just cut back to 12 because i think it is unnecessary. My nitrates have went down 1/2. Another week and it will be zero. I have noticed the brown around the outside growth...i don't know if its normal though. anyone else notice this?

I run my lights on my fuge for 12 hrs opposite the tank. I have had my Chaeto for about 2 months and have not had to prune it yet. Appears to be growing, but slowly. If it is turning brown on the top it may be getting too much light.

i have some if my fuge. great stuff. lights on 14 hours opposite the main tank (on for 10). Seems to be doing great.

Jim

Chaeto is billed as a macro algae that doesn't need as much light as others. I agree with others, probably too much light. Cut back to less hrs than your main - maybe 8hrs or so to see if that helps?

Also Grimlock, I see you HOB fuge is situated like mine which prevents me from running the fuge lights opposite the main.

I have the light raised now, so I will give it a few days. Before this, the end of the bulb was about an inch above the surface of the water, whoops. If nothing improves with the raised height, I will stick it on the daylight timer for 8 hours of light and go from there.

i had the same problem using 24hr light- i cut back to 8, and it fixed it. i think it just got a little fried HTH

Back
Top Bottom