whoa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarlilesiu

Aquarium Advice Addict
Me and my girlfriend were just looking at her reef tank when we noticed one of our two clowns with a bulge. We are both pretty new to salt water aquariums. Do clowns mate in captivity? If so, what do we do? Do they eat their fry? We have some shrimp and crabs, will they eat the eggs or are the clowns live bearers? I will attach a couple pictures, but there is definatly a big bulge on her.

You can always upload pics to a free web host, like ImageCave.com, then provide links or use the BB codes to add pics here. That's what I do...

jcarlilesiu - You need to delete some of the pictures you attached in your previous posts. Click on the profile button in your post above (not the homepage) and you'll see an Upload Quota box on the bottom right. Click on User Attachement Control Panel under the box, and you'll see a screen with all the pictures that you've attached to your posts. Delete some of the old ones and you'll have enough room for this new pic of the clown.

You could also use a free web host like Scoot mentions, but to post pics using the attachment option from the reply screen, you'll need to delete some old pics.

Ok thanks everybody.... didn't know the old pictures on old posts counted. Anyway, there you go you can see her belly. So? is she preggo or should we worry

She looks like she may be pregnant. I haven't had my clowns long enough to see what they look like or how to take care of the young. Unless she just had something to eat that you didnt know about I'd say she is.

I thought the same thing with my female clown not too long ago. Whether she actually laid or not I have no idea but the next day the bulge was gone. I assumed she ate alot or whatnot, and I was just then seeing the bulge. She looks healthy otherwise, so I'd not worry about it. She likely ust have a mild backup maybe.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's eggs though. :)

Clowns lay eggs and the male tends to them. Mine spwan a few times a months, and the eggs are hatched and my other fish get some good food.
Raising clowns takes a lot of work and you need to be prepaired for them in advance. The fry need there own tank, special foods and a lot of tlc.
Read up on raising clown fish, there are some good books out there..

I did do some reading and holy A*#^& that is alot of TLC. I thought maybe it would be like the mollies in my fresh tank. I think we will just let nature take its course

Back
Top Bottom