Whodunit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

land locked

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had just finished cycling my tank when I noticed some kind of polyp or zoo of some kind, that survived on my LR and was making a come back, when a couple days later I noticed it looked healthy but was being eaten by something. This troubles me because my plan is to have a reef tank. I do not want everything I put in to be eaten. Now it is completely gone. Before purchase I checked compatibility with reefs on everything I put in and they all check out. Could you help me figure out whodunit?:confused: The offending invert will be banished back to the LFS.
Suspects:
1. emerald green crab
2. Sally lightfoot
3. peppermint shrimp
Other inverts of interest:
several kinds of hermit crabs and several kinds of snails.

Do you have any photos of the polyp that was eaten?
Hard to tell unless you catch the critter in the act. If it was a hitchhiker aptaisia, then the pepeprmint might have done it and you should be thankful.

No, I do not have a photo. But my best guess is a button polyp. There were about 8-10 little stumps clustered together on the top of a rock (peacefully recovering). Definetly not an aptaisia. I have seen those at the LFS.

That would be my guess as well, that is if it wasn't aptasia as cmor mentioned, in which case you can issue a reprieve to #3 as he did you a favour.

This is also discounting the possibility of a hitch hiker that is chowin down on your zoos. The ones I could find are

spiders, nudibranches and sundial snails.

I don't think I have any unknown hitchikers. Since AA all told me about the red light at night we are addicted we spend hours down there just watching. Haven't seen any unidentified. Oh, I have a bristle worm, could he be guilty?
No spiders or nudibranches, I will look into the sundial????

OK after much research today, what I have is a Banded Trochus Snail. No sundials. I also have some nassarius, turbo, margarita, Astera and cerith.

Oh, I am sure. I know this sounds crazy:crazyeyes: but my husband is changing our refugium to a much larger one already. He loves it. He says the main tank is mine and the refugium is his. By the way, can you put a hermit crab in the refug? We all ready have a snail in there but some of the chaeto has hariy algae on it and I wanted to put a scarlet hermit in to eat it. Will he eat all the amphipods we have? How much can you put in the refug, everything but fish, I assume. We are curing 25 # of live rubble for the new refug. I know he is nuts.:multi::multi:He says the amphipods look like little kids on a jungle gym in the chaeto.

Back
Top Bottom