Whodunnit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noone

Aquarium Advice Regular
I came upstairs to feed my fish after getting ready for school and what do I see? My hermit (normal one) eating my banded shrimp!

My question is: Did the hermit kill him, or did he die and then the hermit started doing his job. Are they usually aggressive.

I did add water last night (It needed it badly. I was slacking. :oops: ) could that have killed him? (If it was not the hermit.)

Are you sure it wasn't just a molt? If not, I would say the hermit is innocent. He was just doing his job either way.

I agree. It was most likely a molt. If it was the actual shrimp, it probably died and the crab was just cleaning it up.

Definately not a molt. I only have a 10 gallon. There would be an actual shrimp somewhere if it was a molt. Not to mention the corpse is brightly colored and... the whole shebang.

The picture was taken from the end of the tank.

I would guess a molt or the crab is cleaning up an already ailing animal. IMO hermits are too slow for a healthy CBS.

Definitely too slow.... the CBS was either dying or dead... if you don't see another skrimp in a few days then the CBS died on it's own.....

Do you only have the one? If so look at your picture very closely, you have his feeler coming off his head in one direction, there is an odd feeler coming from a different direction. Unless that's a healthy scratch on the glass.

Actually, there were a couple of them around the tank. They must have fallen off or been torn off.

If you look closely, you can see a hermit crab shell I believe (empty) and my starfish. Also you can see one of my blue legged hermits climbing the rock in the bottom right corner.

Back
Top Bottom