Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2004, 08:38 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to pondmom Send a message via Yahoo to pondmom
I also called my local HD and the Gentleman in the Garden/Electrical dept. told me that it was also seasonal and the sku in the computer was "active". So I'll be calling the GM in the morning who does the ordering to make sure that he orders this sand.

Thanks Menagerie I Love my pond!! It's just as relaxing as an aquarium.
I'm sure having a SW will be very challanging and enjoyable as well.

5000gal + outdoor pond
125 gal FW tank
pondmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:01 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Cunch Send a message via AIM to Cunch Send a message via MSN to Cunch Send a message via Yahoo to Cunch
It felt like I was hauling 50lb ice cubes around.. But they all thawed out within 12 hours and looks like some great stuff... On a 120 tall tank 48" what kind of depth in sand bed will 500lbs give me?? Thanks.

Cunch

Old 02-11-2004, 05:44 AM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
On a 120 tall tank 48" what kind of depth in sand bed will 500lbs give me??
Between 7 and 8 inches. According to the SandBed depth Calculator 529lbs will give you 8" sandbed.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:41 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to firerescue2002
The local HD about 100 miles away will not do a transfer unless I purchase a pallette and a half maybe even two pallets. Their reasoning was it costs them too much to transfer about $90 bucks for labor and delivery fuel charges and such. Ohh BTW I was inquiring because I own a landscaping business "NOT BUT IT WORKED" . The first guy who awnserd said We are all out, Are you setting up a reef tank?" I quickly responded no I need about 300lbs. for a client whos landscape I am re working with potted exotic plants. Since the sand is hypo allergenic it's good for ornamentals, orchids and such. Then he put me on hold and transferred me to a manager who said they no longer carry it and informed me on their transfer procedure. So if your local HD says the don't have it don't belive them and don't tell them it's actual desired use.

HTH,
Andrew

P.S. I Still need some in the Springfield, Illinois are I don't have enough $$$ for a pallet and a half.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:12 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to pondmom Send a message via Yahoo to pondmom
I spoke with the guy at the HD today and he informed me that they "can not" do store transfers because the bags of sand are only $6.99 and to transfer 200# of sand would be astrinomical. I'd have to purchase a pallet PLUS pay for the shipping (forget that idea)
He also asked me to find out through my sources if Silica sand will work. Will it?

The more I read/research on SW setup's, the deeper in debt I am getting 8O 8O

I'd have to say from the research I have done, it's alot more different than FW.
So many more thingamagigs to hook up to the tank.

well, back to reading
5000gal + outdoor pond
125 gal FW tank
pondmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:52 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, so I think I have found a solution to the sand delima. I need to test this sand, someone posted a method of testing to make sure it was not sicila? sand. Does anyone remember how to test or location of that post. Once tested I will post my findings and also to let you know why southdown or old Castle is getting so had to find.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 05:12 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Cunch Send a message via AIM to Cunch Send a message via MSN to Cunch Send a message via Yahoo to Cunch
You better come up with the right answer that Old Castle is good to use!!! I have 500lbs of the stuff sitting here in my living room!!! Wasn't that test using a vinegar solution?? Or am I thinking of another test... Anyhow, please keep me posted. .
Old 02-12-2004, 05:15 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old Castle is fine to use. What I have found is something else and need to test it and yea I think it was a vinegar test but without knowing what and how I'd be swinging in the dark.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 02-12-2004, 06:02 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, while I wait for someone to tell me what test to do I'll tell you what I have found out today. Of course you all know that Southdown became Old Castle, Correct? Well low and behold Old Castle has become something else (actually I think they might have been bought out) called W. R. Bonsel Co. I called the 800 number on the bag and their "on hold music" said "we at W. R. Bonsel and Old Castle, blah blah blah. It would seem that (unless I'm mistaken, and I have been 4 or 5 times today) that our every elusive sand is now being packaged under this new name and at a much better price. I'll withhold final judgement and the price I paid until I am able to do the test on the sand.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 02-12-2004, 11:14 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I got an answer on another post and it was vinegar. I did the test, put sone sand in a bowl and poured vinegar on it and had no reaction. I guess I was wrong, I'll call the company tomorrow and find out just what it's made of but unless I used the wrong vinegar (I only had white), it failed the test. I'm almost to the point of giving up and sticking with cc, at least I CAN find that.

Vote for AquariumAdvice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com