Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2004, 11:25 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Actually, you got it here first, but my connection failed when I hit submit I had been disconnected. I thought it took my post before it disconnected, but guess it didn't. Sorry bout those things I was thinking when I saw the other thread, LOL.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:51 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, I guess I got it good with this cable connection. I almost forgot what a disconnect was, lol.

Quote:
Sorry bout those things I was thinking when I saw the other thread
And just what would that be . I know, I know. Just seemed like everone had deserted this thread and I searched until I was blue in the face for the "test thread". The search engine needs a little work.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:00 AM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
The search engine needs a little work.
I couldn't agree more, I have actually taken to using my google tool bar and searching the site, although you will have better results on recent stuff from the sites search engine. Alot of it is knowing how to use it and narrowing your search.

Using the site search engine use the terms "aragonite AND test AND silica", just copy and paste and remove the quotes, and display the results as posts instead of topics and look at the second entry

Old 02-13-2004, 03:48 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to OhTheHumanity
Cents,

I talked to an employee at Old Castle on Wednesday. When he answered the phone he said "hello". I said "uhhhh, is this Southdown"? He told me it used to be. lol

Long story longer the nice man told me they had been Southdown, then were sold and then sold again. The last sell brings us to the Old Castle name. Old Castle is owned by Bonsel.

So you are correct on the name. It is a little confusing. If i remember right Bonsel has owned it since October of 02.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:20 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I'm gonna call them today and ask what their sand is made of. I'll let you know.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 02-13-2004, 12:03 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well folks, bad news and more bad news. Old Castle (W. R. Bonsel) will no longer be making available the non sicila based sand. Anyone that can get the southdown or old castle needs to do so now. Now I have 3 bags I can't use .

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 02-14-2004, 02:24 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

The Yardright web site is still up showing the sand and they have a contact form to find a local dealer. Just make sure you let them know that this is for the kids sandbox 8) .

From a thread last year on another forum. . .

"This sand is shipped to southdown from Marcona Ocean Industries which is out of Ft. Pierce Florida. They sell to both Southdown, AND Carib-Sea. (they also sell to Martin Marrieta in jacksonville, among others). Marcona Ocean Industries, the company that mines the stuff, does so in the carribean, and has a special agreement with carib-sea. They have a sort of "noncompete" agreement that says that they will not sell sand to anyone doing reefs. Kinda like panasonic selling its 36" pc bulbs only to custom sealife. Same type deal. anyways, marcona sells to Southdown, Inc. and I am sure that they have told Southdown what the scoop is. (and Southdown probably told HD).

How do I know this? I spent ALOT of time researching it last year, and actually talked to the plant manager at Marcona. Nice guy, I talked to him for a while, and he eventually asked what it was for.,.. I said...."uh.... not for fishtanks???" and he said "right answer" and then proceded to tell me all this stuff. The one thing that he did warn about was to NEVER EVER mention that you would be using it for aquarium use. Glad I had been thru this already with panasonic trying to get cheap PCs.
Thread

I contacted Marcona, and the deal is that they usually only sell in bulk. What is bulk you may ask? 100tons. I have worked out a deal with the plant supervisor at marcona to get a truckload (pickup truck - about 1 ton) of oolithic sand (washed dried and sifted) for about $20.00 I have also worked it out to get a truckload from jacksonville of the non strained variety (full of shells and stuff).

All of this comes from a cay in the bahamas where Marcona has a 24/7 mining operation and fills a boat that has a 3000ton/hr conveyer! (big boat) anyways, they WILL NOT SELL IT TO YOU if you even mention the words: fish, aquarium, tank, reef, saltwater, etc. They WILL sell it to you if you tell them its for your shrubs in your front yard and that you have used it before lots of times and that you are sure that this what you want. The key here is that you have to make a trip to either Ft. Pierce or Jacksonville, FL Monday - Friday 7am-4pm. Thats it, no alternatives. I am thinking about doing it soon, but have to take time off work... i will try and post here if i do get it, just to fill everyone in.

Give them a call - tell them you want it for your bushes. They will sell it to you.. but you have to shovel it yourself.. (the smallest front end loader they have carries 5 yards )

Marcona Ocean Industries
20 Avenue M
Fort Pierce, FL 34952
561-464-1836

4018 Retford Dr
Jacksonville, FL 32225
904-646-3595"
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 05:21 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I quit! I got a bag of sand from my lfs. 30 bux for 40 lbs of "reef sand". Didn't look like enough so I put some of the "play sand" on the bottom and the reef sand on top. Thanks for all your help.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 02-14-2004, 08:11 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Question, Can I mix the "reef Sand" and the "play sand"? Thgere is too much difference in looks. would this be ok?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 02-14-2004, 09:12 PM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

I think it would be fine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com