Why are clownfish pairs so expensive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess how your refugium works so that you are able to do that without without them and their food getting sucked up by something..

Do u know where I can get cheap(ish) interesting clownfish?

Do u know where I can get cheap(ish) interesting clownfish?

Ocellaris clownfish. They are great little guys. Also why are the pairs so expensive? In my research I have found that clowns are hermaphoditic so if you get two clowns one will eventually turn into a male and one into a female, the female being the bigger one.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Also why are the pairs so expensive? In my research I have found that clowns are hermaphoditic so if you get two clowns one will eventually turn into a male and one into a female, the female being the bigger one.
Right!? It doesn't make sense

I'm going to put a netting so that they won't be able to leave the area and then eventually put them in their own tank. I got my clowns from saltwaterfish.com. They area great quality.

you wont be able to raise fry in the fuge,netting wont keep the rotifers in,plus you need NO flow where the fry are just an air line with 2 bubbles/second bubbling.I am raising fry now and have a thread going with photo's,have a look,it will give you another option with a bucket in the fuge,that will work!.
Clownfish pairs are expensive because it can take a long time to pair,they go through the dominant phase,twitching phase,hosting phase,cleaning phase and then maybe hatching.Just because they are paired doesn't mean they will lay a clutch.

I like the idea of a bucket in the fuge. My clowns have been twitching and picking at the live rock all day today. Does that mean they're going to spawn soon?

I like the idea of a bucket in the fuge. My clowns have been twitching and picking at the live rock all day today. Does that mean they're going to spawn soon?

You'll know straight away if they are going to lay the females stomach will be bloated quite a lot.It could be a while before they lay,but I would put a terracotta pot in your tank for them to host and lay their eggs or you'll have trouble transfering them to the bucket.With a pot(make sure you get 2)you can transfer the whole lot together and leave the pot in the bucket(do this on night 7)then put the clean pot into the tank in the same spot as the first one.You'll need a rotifer culture started on day 4 and a baby brine shrimp hatchery started 3 days after hatch.I'm just about to upload some photo's of 2 month old fry on my thread.

I subscribed too because I want to raise clowns now too! What's the bucket u mentioned earlier?

I subscribed too because I want to raise clowns now too! What's the bucket u mentioned earlier?
I use old salt buckets,you can see them in my thread.

What are the best choices for foods for clown fry?
You start with live rotifers which you harvest,fry wont eat anything but live food to start with.Then after 4 days you feed them rots and baby brine shrimp which again you harvest(frozen wont do)then after 8 days feed small flake(ground up) and baby brine,then after around 10-12 days just flake.

Awesome, I guess I should just stop asking and watch how ur thread develops now?

Back
Top Bottom