Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
People get them to cycle, they establish their territory in the tank leading to problems when other fish are introduced.
These fish should be added later down the line after the less aggressive fish.
I like active fish like damsels, very pretty, long lived and reef safe.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my 3 stripe damsals peck at my hand when i put it in the tank. They are ballsy little guys.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I have 2 yellow tails that I keep saying I will remove when I move the tank. I have moved it twice and they are still there They do add color and the actually swim around. Some fish hide more. With these fish out swimming it tend to bring the others out as well. They are a bit tough on newcomers though. They did not like the Yellow Tang I added and he was 4x their size.

There are not too many blue fish that are hardy so they will stay. A school of chromis would be better though
Old 08-09-2005, 11:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have a domino that picks on the dogface puffer
Old 08-09-2005, 11:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs
i have a domino that picks on the dogface puffer
you have a dogface puffer eh. Those things scare me.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:23 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Puffers are cool. I like the porcupines better but the dog I had was more laid back.

Wish they were reef safe
Old 08-10-2005, 12:28 PM   #17

I have three yellow tail damsels and they are mean buggers. They killed my blue hippo tang (learned a lesson: research first, and then buy). They are agressive toward my humu humu, and whenever I need to change the cylindrical filter on my powerhead, these folks start attacking my hand. I hate that part so much.

With that said, yes they are colorful. I have seen a 10 year old zebra damsel (at least the LFS told me it was 10 years old) and they are huge, slower, and more beautiful. They are about 3 1/2 inches big. It's amazing. Maybe I'll hold on to my damsels until they grow that big. Maybe they'll slow down.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've have a green chromis and a blue damsel in my tank since it finished its cycle. They are still there to make sure I can actually run a healthy tank before I add more fish and coral and anemones. My question is...can the damsels be put in a quarantine tank for a while to "reset" their territory? This way when I put them back in the show tank with other fish they will be the outsiders.
39 gallon (2yrs) 40lbs live sand. 23 lbs LR (still collecting) , 1 turbo snail, 5 Nasarius snails, 10 blue knuckle hermits, 1 zebra hermit, 1 scarlet hermit, 5 red tip hermits, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Blue Damsel, ? Ricordia, candy cane coral.

135gallon (2 months)
125lbs live sand, 100lbs live rock, 2 175W Metal Halide, 1 175W VHO Actinic (so far). Berlin Protein Skimmer in 40 Gallon Sump. 2 Maxi Jet 1200's. 10 Nassarius, 10 mexican turbos, 10 astreas, 20 Blue Leg Hermits, 20 Scarlet Hermits, 5 Emerald crabs, 5 peppermint shrimp. 1 Copper Band butterfly, 2 False Perculas, 1 Javanese Damsel.
StrongBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #19
cd5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a blue finned damsel in my one of my 20 gallon, it has killed 4 other fish I have bought(40$) and survive many salinity, ammonia, temperature spikes and falls (even a really horrible case of ich), it even survive that day I tried for a hour to move him into my second 20 gallon that just finished cycling got frustrated and tried to smack with some liverock(if I did not move him then my liverock that I made from base rock year ago would have died and I was also late for work), despite all this though he has survived and I still catch my self staring at him, actually a really neat fish
Old 08-11-2005, 02:45 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So what do you folks think of mixing my orange tale damsel with a yellow tang? I'm about to go and buy one this weekend and everyone I've spoken to and read here is that the yellow tang will teach the damsel a lesson or two in no time, and it should be fine from thereon in?

flanque is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damsel, damsels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com