Why are damsels not appreciated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cycled my tank with damsels. (please don't yell at me) They are very colorful, and active fish. but the aggression is what I don't like about them. I had to get rid of mine, because they were attacking my jawfish.

I do like watching them, but as long as I have a peaceful tank I will never put one in my tank.

Well. I have one Yellowtail Damsel in my tank. The only other fish there for now are a pair of clowns. They all seem to get along well. They actually hang out together sometimes. However, if the damsel becomes a nipper later on I will take him back if I can catch him. I have never seen a fish swim so fast. Also, as mentioned Chromis are great little fish. I saw some blue reef Chromis at the LFS, very nice peaceful fish.

I've had my orange tail damsel for probably 3-4 months now and it's fine. There's no agression towards the other fish, etc. It's the most recently added fish however. Still, surely a yellow tang has enough attitude and capability to defend itself against a damsel?

In our 75 gallon tank we have a tomato clown, yellow tang and a 3 striped damsel. Our 3 stripe is bigger than our tomato clown. We did have a pair of perculas in there as well but decided this evening to move them in with my pearly jawfish. (They appear much happier) Anyways in our 75 the tomato appears to be more aggressive than the 3 striped. It's actually kinda weird cause its like the 3 larger fish were the bullies (they swam together like a gang) and they picked on the perculas. Now that I have removed them the bigger fish are swimming around like they are in abrand new tank.

I love my yellow tails. They are active curious, not too aggressive and really neat fish beautiful too. All about preference I guess,

Alas, I finally donated my three yellow tail damsels to the LFS. They gave me $15 off on my purchase of a blue hippo tang.

Oh, the tank is so peaceful right now, even during feeding. Finally the false percula has a peaceful company, thanks to the Blue Hippo Tang. They always stick together.

The live rock formation is now livable to other fish. When those darn damsels were there, they took over the whole rock form and kept everyone out. It was a paint to get them out of there, probably stressed some fish, and messed up my water a bit through the process. I removed all my LRs and caught each one of them.

I've met individuals who had success with striped damsels (they're like 3 inches now). But I just don't get the point with damsels. It's too much stress for me and the other fish that cost ten times theirs.

Out of all my fish, the Blue Hippo is the most expensive. Can someone start some sort of price control on these tangs? I mean, Finding Nemo is killing me due to the increase in price! j/k.

I have a fiji devil damsel, first fish I got after I cycled and I absolutely loved him until recently when I got a diamond watchman goby. The damsel picked on him like you wouldnt believe (but never picked on the clown or yellow tang). So now I have my damsel in another tank until my goby gets comfortable (Its enough stress going into a new tank, and having a little jerk pick on you too doesnt help the cause) I'll probably put the damsel back in a few days though, and see what happens.

I cycled with 15 damsels and after the cycle i had 6 left so i kept them but then i got a spiny puffer and they chewed his tail every second. Kept him stressed so they are gone now.

I have a Metallic blue, and tried to add a yellow tail. The blue wouldn't have it. The yellow tail died in about two days :( But Mr. Blue doesn't bother anyone else. He does have a shell that he lives in, at night. and is very aggressive over it. He tugs on my harlequin star's legs and drags him out out the shell whenever he catches him in it. :mrgreen:

are you saying that you killed 9 damsels trying to cycle with them

Yeah i know everyone on here says it is'nt right. But i had some fish to look at while the tank cycled. There just fish for God sakes. :roll: :roll:

KMyers18 said:
There just fish for God sakes. :roll: :roll:

Awwwwwwwww...... :cry: I guess I feel that I've asked these fish to live with me instead of being in their natural habitat. They give to me by being pretty and ornamental in my home. In return I give to them by taking care of them as best as I know how. To dismiss them as little better than trash seems very unkind in the least.

do you think the Gods say.... There just humans for God sakes????

No that is why GOD (not plural) put us at the top of the food chain. He gave us fish to eat or do what we want with

KMyers18 said:
do you think the Gods say.... There just humans for God sakes????

No that is why GOD (not plural) put us at the top of the food chain. He gave us fish to eat or do what we want with

yes, but He didn't intend for us to be irresponsible... :roll:

Viruses and bacteria "eat" at us all the time and in some cases we have no defense, does that mean we are still at the top of the food chain

Back
Top Bottom