Why are waterchanges necassary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How big are these tanks at the zoo and what so they have in them? What type of filtration are they using? A closed system in the home is surely a very different thing than zoo aquariums. I have seen large aquariums at city zoos that pump natural seawater into them, so I can't imagine they would be doing water changes as such, different ball game I reckon :)

The biggest one is 12,000 gallon, the smallest is 90ish.

The 12,000 has schools of yellow tangs, rays, clownfish, green chromis, variety of angels and many more.

There's a tank full of of jellyfish too.

There is no way they pump in ocean water, as we live in the middle of the country.

I have no clue on filtration, but I assume it's nice.

The biggest one is 12,000 gallon, the smallest is 90ish.

The 12,000 has schools of yellow tangs, rays, clownfish, green chromis, variety of angels and many more.

There's a tank full of of jellyfish too.

There is no way they pump in ocean water, as we live in the middle of the country.

I have no clue on filtration, but I assume it's nice.

Most places with those facilities generally have a marine biologist on staff and EXTREMELY high tech equipment to control and monitor the water contaminants. Far removed from what we as home aquarists can manage.

Then I don't see how the zoo has had 30+ tanks running for 10 years without a waterchange. And all the tanks look fine to me. Fish are healthy.

You'd be better directing those questions to the marine biologist at the zoo. They can tell you (or maybe email you) precisely how their tanks are operated without water changes.
As hobbyists, we have small (relatively) closed systems that rely on a regular influx of clean, treated water to allow our fish to thrive :)

Love to know what they say though. Always been intrigued about what hey use in massive aquariums to filter etc

I recently went to the chaurami aquarium, in Okinawa and they were one aquarium which pumped natural seawater from 200km off shore into their main tank (which houses 3 whale sharks - incredible). You could go 'backstage' and see the internal workings. Lets just say their protein skimmer was as big as a house! Funny because it looked the same, with a cup and foam collecting in the top. Pretty amazing :) would have loved to see all the 'smaller' systems too...

Most places with those facilities generally have a marine biologist on staff and EXTREMELY high tech equipment to control and monitor the water contaminants. Far removed from what we as home aquarists can manage.

The question wasn't whether or not I could pull up but IF it was possible

Back
Top Bottom